Strings for a Ramirez R4

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Strings for a Ramirez R4

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:51 am

Wally

Given the information provided to date on your preferences I would recommend the Augustine Black Classic and the Ramirez medium tension.

The Augustine Classic trebles are a little warmer than the Imperial trebles and while I personally like the latter I suggest the former will probably match your needs better.

The Ramirez strings should provide nice richness to the bass and warm trebles.

While others have recommended Cantiga trebles I would not try them initially. They are again a string I love, but the bass sets are definitely on the brighter and tighter end of the spectrum and will probably match not as well to your needs as you have described them.

Regards
Peter

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 am

Wally, I have a 125 Anyos. It is basically an R4 with different tie block and rosette. I had it set up with D'Addario EJ45's. I have tried Savarez 520R, Savarez AJ500, Augustine Classic Red, henSe 500MT, Ramirez Med Tension with carbon G, LaBella 2001, and LaBella 2001 Flamenco strings.

The D'Addario EJ45's were the last set I had tried. Every one of the aforementioned strings has sounded great on that guitar. So far the set that sticks out as having dark sounding basses was the Savarez Corum/Alliance AJ 500. I also have three sets each of Dogal Diamanté trebles and Savarez Cantiga basses on order, following petermc61's advise. That guy has forgotten more about CG strings than I will ever know.

I tried all those different sets and nothing really blew me away as being superior, except for maybe the Ramirez. The trebles sounded warm and clear and the basses were deep. I just keep looking because I am trying to find an affordable set, but haven't been able to find trebles and basses that I am crazy about in a ready made set. I like the Ramirez strings, but they are quite expensive. I had the guitar set up with the D'Addarios because they are like $6.00 a set and are quite a neutral string. If it sounds good with D'Addarios, chances are it will sound good with just about anything. I will let you know how the Cantigas work out for me.

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks i have alot of testing to do.

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 am

Thank you I might not start with cantiga's so please let me know. Im gonna try some of augustine's that have been suggested.

Peter thank you for your suggestions. Im ordering some ramirez's strings.

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 am

Peter the augustine black can they be low tension or do you only mean the classic black ? That one doesn't state a tension.

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:34 am

Wally wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 am
Peter the augustine black can they be low tension or do you only mean the classic black ? That one doesn't state a tension.
If I may, Classic Black is a 'low tension' set.

Classic trebles are 19.21 kg tension

Black basses are 18.96 kg tension

As an example, I prefer Classic Red, which consist of Classic trebles and Red basses. For reference Red bass are 20.82 kg tension. I have attached the string tension chart for you Wally.

Ramirez strings are beautiful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piotr

Post by piotr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 am

D'Addario EJ45 are the best.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 am

I use D'Addario ej45ff on my 1A, and I am very satisfied.

The trebles are really signing, though not on the dark side, but I insist you would at least give them a try - I believe they would sound similarly on your R4 as well.

ps. they are also very high quality, and the trebles last long
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 am

Wally

Aaron's table is very informative on the details of the tensions, but I have a simple way of looking at it. There are three tensions of nylon trebles, and three tensions of basses (putting aside the Gold basses that use different materials). You can mix any treble set with any bass set.

In order of increasing tension for the basses: Black, Red and Blue. In order of increasing tension for the trebles: Classic, Imperial and Regal.

You typically see sets formed by 'matching' sets (Black Classic, Blue Regal) or sets only one tension step apart (Red Classic, Black Imperial) and rarely from bass/treble sets at the opposite end of the spectrum (eg Black Regal), but you can do as you wish.

Regards
Peter

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you peter and to everyone who posted suggestions. I'm learning so much.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I whole heartedly agree!! Peter is the man when it comes to strings!! :D :D

He turned me onto using Cantiga Bass with Augustine Imperial trebles on my spruce top Cordoba. Peter's other suggestion of Aranjuez Brillante Silver Trebles work great as well.

For a mellower tone, Peter's suggestion of Mari 100P trebles work great on my Cedar topped Cordoba.

In my ignorance, I ignored Peter's suggestion of avoiding the Mari P100 basses & tried them. Ughhh They were way too stiff and almost dead sounding to me.

Dave

Aaron Powell wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 am
Cheers Wally, Peter will be able to provide some very good suggestions for you to research. He has vast knowledge of strings and how appropriate they are for the musician and instrument.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

630mm

Post by 630mm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 am

I think the EJ44 basses or Augustine Blue basses would be good for what Wally has asked for. He wants dark/warm and plays with a heavy hand. Thicker bass strings would help achieve this.
2017 Benito Huipe "Bouchet" Spruce 655mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1977 Yamaha GC-5S Cedar 658mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Wally

Post by Wally » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:24 am

I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I no longer have the Ramirez. I now have a Cordoba Solista and after trying many strings I for now settled on Savarez Corum 500J HT for the basses. I'm still working on the trebles
at the moment. About to try some dogals. I'm no longer looking for a dark sound. Looking for trebles with a lot of sustain.

Thanks

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Try the Dogal Diamante trebles . They are carbon/nylon hybrids. They sounded good on my Ramirez. They also sound good on my son's Cordoba lots of sustain. Ask PeterMC61 for a recommendation on the tension, or pick the tension closest to what you are using. Plenty of sustain with either regular or strong tension. SBM has the numbers on their website.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 pm
Try the Dogal Diamante trebles . They are carbon/nylon hybrids. They sounded good on my Ramirez. They also sound good on my son's Cordoba lots of sustain. Ask PeterMC61 for a recommendation on the tension, or pick the tension closest to what you are using. Plenty of sustain with either regular or strong tension. SBM has the numbers on their website.
Buy Strong tension or Extra Strong tension. They are actually the same treble strings. They sound a little mite vibrant to my ears than the lower tension Dogal Diamanté trebles.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”