Strings for a Ramirez R4

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Wally

Re: Strings for a Ramirez R4

Post by Wally » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:16 am

I tried the dogal's strong tension but they wouldn't stay in tune and the tension wasn't hard enough for me. The journey for trebles continues. I also swapped out the solista for a c12 cedar limited.

Wally

Post by Wally » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 am

In any case thank you for the suggestion of the dogal strings though :D

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 am

Well Wally,
I guess if you were going to get rid of the Ramirez for a Córdoba, the C12 would at least be a rough apple to Oranges comparison in the right direction. Don't think the solista would have done it for me. Do let us know how you like the elevated fretboard. Keep it humidified. I've had 3 Cordobas that developed cracks, so I won't buy them anymore, except for maybe the master series. Did you get Cedar or Spruce?

Wally

Post by Wally » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:09 pm

I got the cedar limited with the African rosewood. I will definitely keep it humidified. Yeah I think the solista is not a bad choice but didn't do it for me. The R4 was nice but i needed
Something louder and more ready for a performance within my price range. I will keep you posted on the elevated fretboard.

Thanks

Wally

Post by Wally » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm

After playing the c12 for a few days i have to say that the elevated fretboard helps a little but not a ton. It's not as high as the usual elevated fretboard. I did find a small hairline crack in the back of the guitar so i will definitely be taking it in to be looked at. It looks like it will be easily glued. Other than that I love the guitar and the lattice bracing makes a big difference in my opinion. I'm using Savarez 500AJ bass strings and Hannabach Siver High Tension trebles. I am happy with them.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:47 am

Get a replacement. It's new and shouldn't have a Crack. Every one of my three Cordobas cracked, two came with cracks. I don't know if it is coincidence, but they were all made in China. I haven't heard of anybody complaining about their Master Series guitars arriving with cracks yet, but they are made in the states. The conditions under which the guitar's are constructed, and the condition of the woods used, could be to blame.

Wally

Post by Wally » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I bought it used at a really good price so I wont be returning it. The crack is very small and I know it can be taken care of easily.
I really like it and since i've gotten it ive been keeping track of the humidity with a hygrometer. Its louder than i thought it would be. It will be my primary instrument until i could afford a luthier guitar.
Im not sure why you had all those cracks but thank you for telling me because now I could keep an eye on it .

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”