So many string choices!

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Zoodlemaker

So many string choices!

Post by Zoodlemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am

Does anyone have a thought on how to choose a new set of strings?! The last time I bought new strings, I walked into my local music store a got a set of whatever they had, choosing between maybe 2 brands! There is so much choice now. I want medium tension I think.....and from there, what else should I consider? My guitar is nothing famous, a 45 or 50 year old Val Dez, imported from Finland.

petermc61

Re: So many string choices!

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am

This is a very open question. I have tried way, way too many types of strings and would be happy to make a recommendation.

In my view the best way to do this is to tell us what strings you have installed and what you'd like to change about the sound. If you don't know what is installed then buy the most well known string made, D'Addario DJ45 and fit those and play for a couple of weeks and then give us your feedback on those strings. With that, I'd happily make some recommendations.

Regards
Peter

Zoodlemaker

Post by Zoodlemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 am

An awesome suggestion, thanks! I'm getting a bit of buzz and wondering if I should raise the saddle but maybe I should just try fresh strings. Not sure what's on there now, likely the brand you've recommended or ghs. I also have no idea what tension my current strings are. They're not very expensive so there's not much to lose by trying your suggestion as a starting point. Much thanks!

Zoodlemaker

Post by Zoodlemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am

I'm not seeing those specific strings on sbm

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:49 am

Zoodlemaker wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am
I'm not seeing those specific strings on sbm
D'addario, Pro-Arte, normal tension - they are the EJ45. Guaranteed they are there. If you are buying from SBM then get another common well priced set - Augustine Imoerial Black. They will be a nice alternative to the EJ45 and if you give us feedback on both if them then surely I can make some more precise suggestions.

Zoodlemaker

Post by Zoodlemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 am

Consider it done, much thanks!

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 am

and do not forget La Bella 2001 Medium Tension strings....
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Some popular standards to try are D'addario EJ45, La Bella 2001 (I prefer medium hard tension), Augustine (perhaps try red or blue imperial), Savarez New Cristal. These options I think will give you a good sense of the spectrum of strings. You may want to give Carbon trebles a try such as Oasis GPX... carbon trebles are known for being more responsive, sustaining, and with higher volume, but may not have as much complexity than nylon. Leave strings on for at least 2 weeks to hear their true sound potential.

Another absolute essential is knowing how to shape and polish your nails along with proper right hand technique as it makes a world of a difference.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Zoodlemaker

Post by Zoodlemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 pm
Another absolute essential is knowing how to shape and polish your nails along with proper right hand technique as it makes a world of a difference.
Thanks so much for this comment, it made me realize that part of the buzz is coming from my right hand. Just paying closer attention and sharpening up my act has helped eliminate quite a bit of it already

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”