Nit-picking top string...

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
souldier

Re: Nit-picking top string...

Post by souldier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Do you find this is the case with all of your guitars or just this particular guitar?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:37 am

souldier wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:33 pm
Do you find this is the case with all of your guitars or just this particular guitar?
Excellent question!
I have noticed that, for some reason in general, the open top string sounds better when carbon. But I am not crazy about the feel of the string or the sound of most of the other notes, this on most of my guitars. It may very well be something related to my own weird hearing.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Carbon e-1 sounds most metallic open and in low positions ... sounds like a nut saddle problem, although I'd say carbon e-1 is very difficult on almost all guitars apart from those dull sounding, especially for the player (listener farther away do not notice so much, especially in bigger spaces).
You could put a piece of a blank copper wire under the first string so that this becomes your zero fret and listen how things get then (of course the intonation will be gone but maybe the sound changes. Them you'd know what to expect from 0 fret...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”