Aquila Alabastro and 662mm scale?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Beowulf

Aquila Alabastro and 662mm scale?

Post by Beowulf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Can the Aquila Alabastro NT strings handle the tension of 662mm scale @ A440 tuning? I know the strings were updated in 2010 and prior to that, e strings may have had a tendency to break. I do play fairly strongly and before giving them a try, any advice would be helpful.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Re: Aquila Alabastro and 662mm scale?

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Yes they will work, you might find Normal tension to be a bit supple with that scale, if that's the case go to high tension.

They should work nice. I haven't had any issues with breakage on the Alabastro. But I have had some failures with the Rubino.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:00 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm
Yes they will work, you might find Normal tension to be a bit supple with that scale, if that's the case go to high tension.

They should work nice. I haven't had any issues with breakage on the Alabastro. But I have had some failures with the Rubino.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the NT and move up if they are to loose. The tension is actually pretty close (overall) to my present strings...at least by the SBM rating.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Well after using these strings for a month...I do not like them at all. They are a bit loose with NT, but it's the tone quality that does not suit my style of playing or my guitar...or both. I play with nails and like to dig in at times as suits the music and the trebles in particular have both an edge and a lack of projection. On the b string in particular, I had the impression my guitar had developed "Wolf" notes that at jumped out with an edgy twang. The sound also lacked depth and body with an over-emphasis on the attack. My wife (an accomplished pianist and bell ringer) did not enjoy the sound at all. So, not for me. Perhaps they are better for nail less playing?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 am

Yeah they work good without nails. I think they are warmer after break in. That being said...your scale of guitar is larger, so maybe you should try the highest tension. If they are lose with NT...then Superior tension will be better.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 am
Yeah they work good without nails. I think they are warmer after break in. That being said...your scale of guitar is larger, so maybe you should try the highest tension. If they are lose with NT...then Superior tension will be better.
Well, after a month of playing, they were broken in. I put on a set of Hannabach SS HT (815) and instantly was happy again. I may try the HT Aquila Alabastro later on...once I get a set.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 am

It sounds like you prefer the higher tensions of strings. In that case yeah go full tension Alabastro before you write them off completely. The extra scale length probably makes the higher tension feel just right. I know on my 650 scale the low tension felt too loose, the normal felt better, but the high tension had a really nice pop to them.

I also left the trebles for months and months, they got more supple.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 am
It sounds like you prefer the higher tensions of strings. In that case yeah go full tension Alabastro before you write them off completely. The extra scale length probably makes the higher tension feel just right. I know on my 650 scale the low tension felt too loose, the normal felt better, but the high tension had a really nice pop to them.

I also left the trebles for months and months, they got more supple.
Yes, I prefer HT, however i can adjust to the looser feel; it mostly that edgy attack in the sound. I didn't want to keep playing with a number of notes jumping out when I didn't want them to do so. Do the HT strings have a different tone quality?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

I don't think you will change the relative tonalities with a tension change. I like the raw puncy, bright sound that the strings provide.

Now if you want to try a different set you might want to look at the Aquila Cristallo sets. They are the complete opposite of the nylgut sound.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:38 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm
I don't think you will change the relative tonalities with a tension change. I like the raw puncy, bright sound that the strings provide.

Now if you want to try a different set you might want to look at the Aquila Cristallo sets. They are the complete opposite of the nylgut sound.
I'll look into the Cristallo...it wasn't the "raw punchy, bright sound" that bothered me. It was the fact that it was restricted to a few notes, most notably on the 2nd (b) string...they just jumped out relative to other strings on my instrument.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Maybe try the highest tension...they are tighter. It could very well be a built in resonant feature, that your guitar responds to certain tensions better than others.

The Zaffiro is also nice, but I think the Cristallo is the most balanced sounding set.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Possibly...however these are the only strings I have ever used that produced this result. I think the general issue is that I play with a lot of fingernail in my attack and thus my playing style is best served by strings that produce a profound attack with a deep, round signature on my instrument. A player that plays using the flesh of the fingertips with less (or no) nail might prefer the sound to have more "bite" and sharp attack. The packaging on the Alabastro actually notes this kind of sound. I believe the dominant frequency of my soundboard is around A and there is a slanted bar on the treble side of the soundboard...this could result in the resonant effect you mention and lead to the emphasized sharpness on the b string.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”