Question for ladies with small hands who play short scale guitars

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Tomzooki

Re: Question for ladies with small hands who play short scale guitars

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Seaguar Premier fishing lines, 50lb, 80lb and 100lb for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings . Worth the try ;-)
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:01 pm
Seaguar Premier fishing lines, 50lb, 80lb and 100lb for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings . Worth the try ;-)
I never thought of that. I will have to check out the diameters of the line, it might be worth a shot. Thanks, how has your experience been with the fishing line. I'm sure it would be cheaper in the long run. I will check it out. Oh by the way in the premier flouro, they only have chart of up to 80lb test, and that one is thinner than the D'Addario carbon G. But the 50 and 60lb test are about the same diameter as the 1st and 2nd strings ( D'Addario Carbon hard tension ). But the G string is the main problem, but the 80lb test line is only slightly smaller. How do you know which lb test line to use?

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am
Tomzooki wrote:
I never thought of that. I will have to check out the diameters of the line, it might be worth a shot. Thanks, how has your experience been with the fishing line. I'm sure it would be cheaper in the long run. I will check it out. Oh by the way in the premier flouro, they only have chart of up to 80lb test, and that one is thinner than the D'Addario carbon G. But the 50 and 60lb test are about the same diameter as the 1st and 2nd strings ( D'Addario Carbon hard tension ). But the G string is the main problem, but the 80lb test line is only slightly smaller. How do you know which lb test line to use?
100lb is in the "big game" category. I tried 40lb and 60lb as a 1st and 2nd string on my Lacote copy 630mm. The sound is truely amazing IMO but one has to attack toward the soundboard. The 40lb is really thin.

Is checked the d'Addario carbon gauge, and yes, 60lb could do as a 2nd string. I think it would be a good idea to try the 80lb as a 3rd string
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am
Tomzooki wrote:
100lb is in the "big game" category. I tried 40lb and 60lb as a 1st and 2nd string on my Lacote copy 630mm. The sound is truely amazing IMO but one has to attack toward the soundboard. The 40lb is really thin.

Is checked the d'Addario carbon gauge, and yes, 60lb could do as a 2nd string. I think it would be a good idea to try the 80lb as a 3rd string
Thanks, I will order some of the 80lb. And then will see how it works. I will just try it for the G first. If it works out I may even try the fishing line on one of my guitars. My wife's guitar is a 610mm scale. How is the tension compared to the carbon G string?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Annette wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 pm
Hi,
I don't believe that fractional strings could be a real solution.
These strings must be thicker than strings for a normal scale, because they are designed to reach about the same tension as normal strings for a normal scale, but on a shorter scale.
And the thickness of the strings seems to be the problem for this lady ("...too big in diameter for her...").

Another idea:
Why not try low tension strings, for example Daddario EJ 43?
These strings are thin and work very well on my 63 cm-guitars.
Of course they could feel too loose on a 61 cm scale, but then you could just tune up the guitar (in f or f sharp ), and maybe this will feel and sound o.k.
If there's the wish to play together with this guitar you simply could use a capo on the "normal" guitar.
Yours Annette

P.S. And don't forget to replace the third string by a carbon string (for example Knobloch active medium tension) - carbon will be thinner and sound better!
I found the D'Addario EJ46FF to have the thinnest trebles, and the guy at strings by mail got me his smallest diameter basses which were the Savarez blue basses. The D'Addario full set had the highest tension out of all the major brands on a standard full size guitar at almost 104 lbs of tension
So I hope that I wind up with a tension similar to medium on a 650. I tried D'Addario's string calc I later but it wouldn't give me results.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”