New Strings Going Sharp?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
razz

New Strings Going Sharp?

Post by razz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm

So I restrung my Soloette and tune it to pitch. After playing it and tweaking the tuners for about 30 minutes, I packed it away. About 24 hours later started playing it and found that all of the strings were sharp. I retuned, practiced for about 30 minutes and packed the guitar away. About 24 hours later I began to play the guitar and the strings again were sharp. This went on for about a 8 days. My electronic tuner was indicating almost a half step higher pitch.

I have owned the Soloette for 15 years and I have used the same brand and model strings. What would make the strings tighten? Is the guitar getting longer or are the strings shrinking? I don't remember ever having strings get sharp on any guitar consistently like this.

When I'm not playing the Soloette, I lock it in a cabinet in my office and I lock the door when I leave work for the day. I doubt that a prankster is at work.

souldier

Re: New Strings Going Sharp?

Post by souldier » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 pm

I've seen this happen on my guitars and it always has to do with temp and humidity. Make sure the place you are storing the guitar isn't being exposed to temperatures that are on the extremer such as near windows, in direct sunlight, near vents, etc. Also monitor what humidity the guitar is in. If the guitar undergoes abrupt humidity change when putting it in and out of the case, you'll also notice the guitar going out of tune. Try putting the guitar in a place where you know the temperature/humidity will remain stable and mild and your problem will probably go away.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

razz

Post by razz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am

I suppose some combination of temperature and humidity have caused this. My office temperature and humidity is pretty constant and I have been storing and playing the guitar in the same areas for the last 10-15 years. Maybe the hot weather has caused the AC to over compensate at night. The building was built in the late 70's. From my experience the strings tend to stretch and the tuning goes flat, not sharp.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am

I can only assume that where you are storing it is a lot colder than where you are playing it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 pm

razz wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am
From my experience the strings tend to stretch and the tuning goes flat, not sharp.
When nylon strings warm up they go sharp, not flat - there have been quite a few posts on the forum explaining why. A search will give you chapter and verse.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

razz

Post by razz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am
I can only assume that where you are storing it is a lot colder than where you are playing it.
No, not really

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”