Seaguar Premier fishing lines

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bacsidoan

Re: Seaguar Premier fishing lines

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:27 pm

es335 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:13 pm
bacsidoan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 pm
es335 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Agreed but 80 lb Seaguar Premier feels really soft ... probably just right when you prefer low resp. normal/medium tension strings ... provided the intonation is acceptable which is unfortunately not the case with even two of my guitars. Tried several pieces from the same reel, reversed them but nothing really helped sufficiently. :(
Bad intonation in what way: sharp or flat?
Flat starting from the middle of the fretboard. BTW both guitars do have a good intonation otherwise.
The problem is actually not with the Seaguar string. Seaguar strings are actually softer and at medium tension require less compensation than nylon. Rather, it's because your guitar was compensated for stiffer, larger diameter nylon string. The problem is not terribly difficult to fix. Use a small file or a small emery board to slant the saddle maximally toward the headstock (only at the slot for the 3rd string). This will maximize the negative saddle compensation at the 3rd string slot. If that's not enough, you can also slant the nut toward the headstock to add a little negative nut compensation.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm
Devils advocate here...what's the point in putting carbon strings on a period instrument? Why not try the Bow Brand strings that Rob mentions from time to time. They are not too pricey.
Finally maybe I would give then a try... but not now, not in the middle of summer! If the first string can last at least one week and stay in tune for 5 minutes, and make me happy when I play, it could worth the cost
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 am

Well have you tried the Aquila Rubino trebles...? They have a unique sound that is pretty amazing and they have copper in the mix...Great sound, I've had issues with breakage but they are a lot cheaper than gut :)

Try those...They are sold as Granato trebles from Strings and Beyond, I think String by Mail has them too in treble sets too. Or try to order them by e-mail with Aquila direct. Mimmo sent me a new set which he claims is a good batch. I know one forum member who is frustrated with Aquila...loves the sound but hates the reliability factor.

If you have any breakage I'm sure you can get a replacement sent. They are a remarkable sounding string if you get a batch...Try the Granato treble sets...

Be really carefully when you string them for some reason, and I think it's because the copper that goes in the mix, can become brittle and break. With a little pre stretch they are more reliable...

I think it's worth it to get sets direct from Mimmo, if he says the new batch is good, they are going to be better. I'd rather have beautiful tone at the expense of reliability than dull boring old flavors of strings...

For me, I think it's worth it to gamble with different string materials knowing you'll get a different sound. Most all clear treble strings are just re-badged Dupont filament...Same material different brand.

I must confess, I'm a bit of an Aquila loyalist. I just don't like paying for the same materials expecting different results. Sure they aren't as tried tested and true as other stuff...but there is also a sonic factor.

Give me great enjoyable tone...a few cents flat or sharp. I don't really care. To me...Nylon is nylon so long as it is dupont manufactured, it's all the same. Pick your brand. It doesn't matter it's all the same.

Want Savarez Cristal sound? Buy GHS...made of Tynex...same material...Now everybody throw your tomatoes!

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:35 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 am
Well have you tried the Aquila Rubino trebles...? They have a unique sound that is pretty amazing and they have copper in the mix...Great sound, I've had issues with breakage but they are a lot cheaper than gut :)

For me, I think it's worth it to gamble with different string materials knowing you'll get a different sound. Most all clear treble strings are just re-badged Dupont filament...Same material different brand.

I must confess, I'm a bit of an Aquila loyalist. I just don't like paying for the same materials expecting different results. Sure they aren't as tried tested and true as other stuff...but there is also a sonic factor.

Give me great enjoyable tone...a few cents flat or sharp. I don't really care. To me...Nylon is nylon so long as it is dupont manufactured, it's all the same. Pick your brand. It doesn't matter it's all the same.

Want Savarez Cristal sound? Buy GHS...made of Tynex...same material...Now everybody throw your tomatoes!

I too like the Aquila strings, they are the only strings (besides carbon) that are made from unique materials. I have tried many of the different types, but not the Rubino. When you say the Rubino have a great sound, in what way do you mean that?

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Leo I guess that have a bright tone and good singing sustain. But I've had breakage issues with them, and intonation issues. Kind of irritating, but the Nylguts have been good.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”