Thomastik Infeld Classic S series Rope Core strings experiences

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Thomastik Infeld Classic S series Rope Core strings experiences

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 am

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the Thomastik Infeld classic S series, rope core strings. SBM has them at about 88 lbs of tension for the set. Testimonials at SBM site say that they last a long time. At 35 dollars a set, I should hope so.

What say you Peter? Have you tried These? It sounds like these should be the Holy Grail of strings.
I'm going to try a set on my Ramirez, though this set seems to have about 4lbs more tension than the strings it was set up with. I wonder if the action will raise a measurable let amount at the 12th fret.

the string diameters are incredibly tiny. The are almost electric guitar size. These are the most expensive set that I've ever seen. They also have steel core strings. Not sure I would try that. I hope to hear from some of you who may have tried them.

MessyTendon

Re: Thomastik Infeld Classic S series Rope Core strings experiences

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 pm

They are going to voice your guitar like a steel string guitar. So if you'd like to take a break from pure classical and go to folk/jazz/blues, good strings.

Great strings if you think. man I need to let lose plectrum...certainly capable of doing moderate bends and blues.

This is what they can do...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKSwF4_s9g

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:11 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 pm
They are going to voice your guitar like a steel string guitar. So if you'd like to take a break from pure classical and go to folk/jazz/blues, good strings.

Great strings if you think. man I need to let lose plectrum...certainly capable of doing moderate bends and blues.

This is what they can do...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKSwF4_s9g
Thanks for the video link Messy. The strings really do make it sound like steel. I'm glad that I asked before forking over $35 plus shipping. The video makes it clear, I don't want my guitar to sound like that (at least not now) but if I was going to play blues on a CG, I might have to give these strings a try. They seem like a novelty item.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 pm

They came fitted to one guitar I bought. They didn't stay on long.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 pm
They came fitted to one guitar I bought. They didn't stay on long.
That says it all...😂 :merci:

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:10 pm

They aren't at all a novelty. Antique Martin guitars really benefit from these strings. The early models intended for gut, or the nylon martin NY style bodies...really make the most of these strings.

For pure classical you will despise them. However I think these strings are great. Of course Peter took them off right away, he's primarily a classical guitarist. Nobody who is a pure classical player is going to like them.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”