The latest string safari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

The latest string safari

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I ordered several sets of D Addario rectified strings...I know I bad mouth pro arte as being boring, but these days I want good intonation.

I ordered one set of Oasis Carbon GPX trebles. And for the old standby Aquila Alabastro.

Peter sure likes to bad mouth Aquila for intonation problems and I didn't want to believe him, but he's right :(

I like Aquila strings a lot, the sound is fun, totally different and enjoyable. But some sets of strings have been out of the package, bad intonation. I am also experimenting with tension and I think mediums are where it's at...for me anyway.

I think sadly, I'm just going to have to convince myself that D Addario will work. I've liked Savarez rectified strings, but never liked the price. I hope the D Addario will be comparable.

Laudiesdad69

Re: The latest string safari

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I think that how the D'Addario's sound is largely dependent on the guitar. I have one guitar that they sound fantastic on, and another where they don't. They are a very neutral string. When I play my Ramirez 125 anyos with the D'Addario EJ45 set, it seems that whatever sweetness there is, is coming from the wood itself. The next best sounding strings on that guitar are Dogal Diamante trebles and Cantiga basses that Peter recommended. The D'Adds are consistent and inexpensive. Nothing wrong with that. And the intonation is always good

mando48

Post by mando48 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 am

Agreed!

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 am

I've played with D'addarion, Saverez and LaBella rectified trebles.
To my ear the LaBella's have a little smoother and sweeter sound
that I much prefer, the others are a little shrill to me.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm
Peter sure likes to bad mouth Aquila for intonation problems and I didn't want to believe him, but he's right :(
I think I know what you meant to say, but I think a correction is in order. I don't like to bad mouth anybody, including Aquila. Mimmo from Aquila is a true gentleman and one of the leading innovators in strings today. I admire the work he is doing.

On a number of my guitars I have found the new Alabastro Super Nylgut strings to sound very good. Their trebles offer a different sound and feel to most treble strings - a lively combination of sweetness and brightness. What I have said a few times is I have been frustrated, sometimes very frustrated, by recurring intonation issues with those strings and some others in their range.

Maybe I have been unlucky, maybe not. I hope the intonation consistency continues to improve as Aquila certainly offers a real range of options to those like me who try to find new and exciting strings.

Regards
Peter

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am

I agree with Peter (Hi Peter) ... I like the Aquila supernylgut which gives a nice vintage sound on my guitar and feels good under the fingers. I should also say I haven't encountered an intonation issue in the couple of sets I've fitted.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm
I think sadly, I'm just going to have to convince myself that D Addario will work. I've liked Savarez rectified strings, but never liked the price. I hope the D Addario will be comparable.
If you want Savarez, buy Savarez I think. Where are you living? A pack of 520R is among the cheaper strings out there.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Fast cheap and easy are pro arte but oh my what a dead tone

dtrap

Post by dtrap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 am

As a luthier I always encourage my clients to try various strings on their new guitar.
Each guitar and player will sound different using the same brand string. It all depends on how lively the guitar is, the players nails and right hand technique, the angle of attack etc.
Some players can make a Nylgut string sound warm while others sound too bright, same with carbon trebles.
Rectified strings are their own breed, Savarez are still my favorites.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 am

Hi dtrap. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here for a wider welcome and to get some more information about how we operate.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:11 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:00 pm
Fast cheap and easy are pro arte but oh my what a dead tone
One has to recognise that a number of highly reputed people use D'Addario Pro Arte in their performances.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”