The latest string safari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

The latest string safari

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I ordered several sets of D Addario rectified strings...I know I bad mouth pro arte as being boring, but these days I want good intonation.

I ordered one set of Oasis Carbon GPX trebles. And for the old standby Aquila Alabastro.

Peter sure likes to bad mouth Aquila for intonation problems and I didn't want to believe him, but he's right :(

I like Aquila strings a lot, the sound is fun, totally different and enjoyable. But some sets of strings have been out of the package, bad intonation. I am also experimenting with tension and I think mediums are where it's at...for me anyway.

I think sadly, I'm just going to have to convince myself that D Addario will work. I've liked Savarez rectified strings, but never liked the price. I hope the D Addario will be comparable.

Laudiesdad69

Re: The latest string safari

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I think that how the D'Addario's sound is largely dependent on the guitar. I have one guitar that they sound fantastic on, and another where they don't. They are a very neutral string. When I play my Ramirez 125 anyos with the D'Addario EJ45 set, it seems that whatever sweetness there is, is coming from the wood itself. The next best sounding strings on that guitar are Dogal Diamante trebles and Cantiga basses that Peter recommended. The D'Adds are consistent and inexpensive. Nothing wrong with that. And the intonation is always good

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”