Spruce Ramirez 130 anos or Guitarra del Tiempo strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Marco32

Spruce Ramirez 130 anos or Guitarra del Tiempo strings?

Post by Marco32 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 pm

What strings you like on your spruce Ramirez 130 anos or Guitarra del Tiempo?
I recently bought a new Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo in spruce and I'll soon start experimenting with strings. Now I have a Savarez Cantiga hard tension set. Not bad but I am tempted to try med tension. I usually like also Aquila strings. Any suggestion from where to start? :)

:merci:

Laudiesdad69

Re: Spruce Ramirez 130 anos or Guitarra del Tiempo strings?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Try a set of medium tension Ramirez strings with carbon G. My friend has those on her Guitarra del Tiempo and they sound great. I've used those on my 125 anyos and they sound good. I've also tried Savarez Cantiga basses in medium tension with Dogal Diamanté trebles in regular strength with good results, and D'Addario EJ45 with good results as well. The Dogal Diamantes are a carbon/nylon hybrid.

Out of the three, I am going back to the EJ45 as they are cheapest, and believe it or not, they sound the best on that particular guitar. Shhhh....don't tell Peter. Actually just about every string I've tried on the anyos sounds good. Just that some sound different. The D'Addarios are a very neutral string. You get the tone of the wood, in my case Cedar, but as yours is Spruce, you may likely want the Ramirez. They are a little warmer. But spend the extra 3 bucks and get the carbon G set.

Those are the three best sets I've tried. I've also used Savarez Alliance/Corum, Savarez traditional nylon 520R, Augustine Classic Red, Hense 500MT (all of these are medium tension)
As well as Augustine Classic Black, and Savarez traditional nylon ( these both are low tension, but the Savarez low tension is almost identical in tension to the med tension D'Addario EJ45. About a pound difference. These sets still sounded good, just not as good as the three I mentioned in the first paragraph.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 am

It doesn't matter. Anybody can go back to EJ45, that cool.

Contrary to the impressions people have of my dislike for EJ45 I actually use them from time to time. I have found the bass strings are quite useleful for hanging pot plants and the nylon e quite acceptable for cutting soft cheeses if you can get some tension on it! :lol:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:20 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 am
It doesn't matter. Anybody can go back to EJ45, that cool.

Contrary to the impressions people have of my dislike for EJ45 I actually use them from time to time. I have found the bass strings are quite useleful for hanging pot plants and the nylon e quite acceptable for cutting soft cheeses if you can get some tension on it! :lol:
Using them as a cheese cutter? Now I actually have a use for my Alice AC106 set. :merci: :bravo:

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:11 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 pm
Try a set of medium tension Ramirez strings with carbon G. My friend has those on her Guitarra del Tiempo and they sound great. I've used those on my 125 anyos and they sound good. I've also tried Savarez Cantiga basses in medium tension with Dogal Diamanté trebles in regular strength with good results, and D'Addario EJ45 with good results as well. The Dogal Diamantes are a carbon/nylon hybrid.

Out of the three, I am going back to the EJ45 as they are cheapest, and believe it or not, they sound the best on that particular guitar. Shhhh....don't tell Peter. Actually just about every string I've tried on the anyos sounds good. Just that some sound different. The D'Addarios are a very neutral string. You get the tone of the wood, in my case Cedar, but as yours is Spruce, you may likely want the Ramirez. They are a little warmer. But spend the extra 3 bucks and get the carbon G set.

Those are the three best sets I've tried. I've also used Savarez Alliance/Corum, Savarez traditional nylon 520R, Augustine Classic Red, Hense 500MT (all of these are medium tension)
As well as Augustine Classic Black, and Savarez traditional nylon ( these both are low tension, but the Savarez low tension is almost identical in tension to the med tension D'Addario EJ45. About a pound difference. These sets still sounded good, just not as good as the three I mentioned in the first paragraph.
Thank you, will try the Ramirez as you suggested. :chitarrista:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 am

I concur that this is a good recommendation for this guitar.

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:16 am

.. what about the tension? I tend to use medium on cedar and hard on spruce in order to drive more the top.. your experience with the 130 anos?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm

My anyos was cedar. I have also used the Ramirez med tension on my spruce topped George Harrison Ramirez. Hard tension strings may choke it out, if they are too heavy. The Ramirez GH came with hard tension Ramirez strings, but the medium tension set with the carbon G has way more sustain on that particular guitar.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm

I have EJ45's on my cedar anos now. The guitar is so loud and responsive you don't want to drive the top. Frankly the guitar sounds great with any strings. The EJ45's seem to calm it down a bit. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”