What are the loudest set of hard tension strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

What are the loudest set of hard tension strings?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Hey everybody, I just bought a guitar that is all laminates, yes even the top. It's for my son who can't be bothered with monitoring humidity as he is away for up to a month or two at a time. The guitar is a Lucero LC-100CE. I re-strung it with D'Addario EJ46FF carbon strings. The guitar, however, is not very loud when played acoustically. What I am wondering is if the volume is dependent on tension alone ( this was the highest tension set I could find) or would larger diameter strings ( the ones on it now are really skinny carbons) help in making he guitar louder?

Anybody know of a string that would turn a normal guitar into a cannon?

petermc61

Re: What are the loudest set of hard tension strings?

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:10 am

None. Sounds like the guitar is what it is.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:17 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:10 am
None. Sounds like the guitar is what it is.
Hey Peter, do you know if using a larger diameter string than the D'Addario carbons would make any difference?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 am

Not as far as I have ever been able to ascertain.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Thicker laminate top = restricted vibratory motion = lower volume and projection. You might even consider trying normal or low tension strings, as sometimes HT can choke the sound. This depends on the response of a particular soundboard under different tensions. Any change in volume after the instrument has been played hard for half an hour?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:19 pm

How about steel strings? That ought to make it louder. :D

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Thicker laminate top = restricted vibratory motion = lower volume and projection. You might even consider trying normal or low tension strings, as sometimes HT can choke the sound. This depends on the response of a particular soundboard under different tensions. Any change in volume after the instrument has been played hard for half an hour?
I wound up putting Savarez HT Classic basses on it and D'Addario EJ46FF carbon trebles on it yesterday and already it sounds louder, but there is a hint of a metallic sound, just on the high E. The strings have settled in pretty much now, which for one day is pretty fast.

I had a full set of EJ46FF on it, but the strings broke as there was a sharp edges on the saddle. Took it to guitar center and had them smooth it out. So new strings and it sounds much better. The guy didn't know how to wind strings, and did a sloppy job on that.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm
...I wound up putting Savarez HT Classic basses on it and D'Addario EJ46FF carbon trebles on it yesterday and already it sounds louder, but there is a joint of a metallic sound, just on the high E. The strings have settled in pretty much now, which for one day is pretty fast...
That's quite normal. Replace the high E string with a Nylon string, EJ46 for instance, and you will be much happier! :wink:

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 am

how to turn a plywood guitar into a cannon...let's see, get some gun powder and.....just kidding. :D these guitars are pretty inexpensive and my initial thought is high tension string could pull on the bridge. then again, the bridge may be glued on with some form of Chinese Gorilla Glue. I would imagine Hannabach 815 strings might do the trick. they come in pretty high tensions and are durable. the other thought that comes to mind is a mid price factory guitar like a Cordoba or Rodriquez. both guitar are fairly over built and unless if the guitar lives in the desert southwest it should survive being left unmonitored.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 pm

I've used d'addario carbons and they are some of the loudest I've ever used. If these strings don't do the trick in terms of volume, nothing will. Always remember strings can only go so far, but the inherent volume, tone, sustain of the guitar will always ring through. And no, larger diameter strings will not help.

One thing that could help volume a bit is raising the action is if it is currently too low.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:25 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 pm
I've used d'addario carbons and they are some of the loudest I've ever used. If these strings don't do the trick in terms of volume, nothing will. Always remember strings can only go so far, but the inherent volume, tone, sustain of the guitar will always ring through. And no, larger diameter strings will not help.

One thing that could help volume a bit is raising the action is if it is currently too low.
After a couple of days now, the Lucero laminate guitar is as loud as my son's Córdoba C9. Both have the D'Addario EJ46FF on them, but the C9 sounds much fuller and woody. I don't know what strings the Lucero came with, but they were bronze-colored and sounded really dead. I know I'm not going to get the tone out of the laminate guitar, but with any luck this one will survive the winter in my sons' apartment without cracking (like the Córdoba did). The action isn't too low on the new guitar, and there is plenty of break angle. I don't think I am going to lower it at all. I guess it is what it is, and for less than $180, it will be enough.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:27 pm

es335 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm
...I wound up putting Savarez HT Classic basses on it and D'Addario EJ46FF carbon trebles on it yesterday and already it sounds louder, but there is a joint of a metallic sound, just on the high E. The strings have settled in pretty much now, which for one day is pretty fast...
That's quite normal. Replace the high E string with a Nylon string, EJ46 for instance, and you will be much happier! :wink:
That's a good idea. I will order some singles from SBM. :merci:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”