Guitar Center doesn't know how to wind CG strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Guitar Center doesn't know how to wind CG strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:47 pm

I bought a guitar yesterday from Guit Centr. The saddle had a hard, sharp ridge on it from where it was molded. The high E string broke immediately. I took it in today and their tech sanded the sharp edge off. That was great, until he went to wind the strings back up to tension with his drill.

What a sloppy job he did with that. The strings weren't wound properly or even on the same direction as I had put them. They were slipping, and I had to loosen all the strings and rewind them there in the store. I guess that he figured that since it was a warranty job that it wasn't worth his time. He obviously knows nothing about how to wind CG strings. Or he knows but just doesn't give a s***!

Next time I will do the work myself. I just didn't have any sand paper to do it today. He spent more time, and did a better job on a woman's Danelectro that he re-string ahead of me. It really pisses me off that he couldn't take the extra few minutes and do a good job on mine. He charged the woman $20.00 for putting on the strings. F'n A**#***

Guitar Center sucks!

hesson11

Re: Guitar Center doesn't know how to wind CG strings

Post by hesson11 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 am

It's tough to weigh in with an opinion without seeing what the guy did. But perhaps, as you suggested, he really knows nothing about how to wind CG strings. Trying to see things from Guitar Center's viewpoint, I'd guess than 90% of their business is non-classical guitars. It's probably a lot easier to find techs more familiar with Dalenectros, Epiphones, Gibsons, etc. than with classical guitars. What percentage of the guitar-oriented population really knows much about CGs? Probably pretty small. It's not surprising that they would be unable to hire a really knowledgeable, experienced tech guy for what I'm guessing is not great pay. The guy SHOULD have known how to do the job (or cared enough to do it right, if he knew how), but I can certainly see why a Guitar Center might have trouble hiring the best people.

I don't think Guitar Center sucks. I think they do a pretty good job, considering what they're trying to accomplish, who they are able to hire and who their bread-and-butter customers are.
-Bob

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:21 am

I had my very Therapeutic Rant, now I feel better. The guy just zinged the strings up to pitch with a drill and handed it back to me. The strings around the rollers looked as if a child had tried it and failed miserably. People just don't take pride in their work these days I guess.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm not surprised... these places usually specialize in steel string or electric. Even then I still wouldn't trust them with my guitar. Going to a small shop/private luthier that specializes on classical guitars is always preferred.

A job like sanding the saddle and restringing is something you can totally do yourself... no need to pay money and entrust a guitar into the wrong hands.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm
I'm not surprised... these places usually specialize in steel string or electric. Even then I still wouldn't trust them with my guitar. Going to a small shop/private luthier that specializes on classical guitars is always preferred.

A job like sanding the saddle and restringing is something you can totally do yourself... no need to pay money and entrust a guitar into the wrong hands.
I just was out of sandpaper, and figured that I would let them do it as I had just bought the guitar the day before...cant even trust them to do that. Lesson learned I guess.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:27 pm

GC probably does 99% steel and the tech probably tied the strings like a steel string--string goes through the hole, the buttons are turned and the job is done. Had I been in the same situation I would have used a nail file and 600 grit paper--two things used every other day or so.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”