Oasis GPX Carbon what are they?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Tomzooki

Re: Oasis GPX Carbon what are they?

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 am

JohnNguyen wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 am
Tomzooki wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am
pogmoor wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am
Your title asks "what are they" - my answer is first class guitar strings. I've used Oasis strings on and off since they were first released and they are among the best I have tried.
I agree, I too think they are great.

And yes, they basically are fishing lines. Fluorocarbon fishing lines to be more precise, like all the other "carbon" strings. And the nylon strings are fishing lines too. I am currently using Seaguar Premier leader lines as treble strings. Great strings :wink:
May I ask what gauge you used for E, B, and G? I have heard 40, 60, and 80 for medium-light tension, but I have not experienced them yet. It's a little too expensive for the experiment even with the 25 yd roll. It would be great if I can pool together some players willing to share for the cost to try them out.
That is the gauges I use. The 40 may seems very thin and one has to have a good "toward the soundboard" stroke in order to get a nice sound. It is very sensitive. I just recieve a roll of Seaguar Blue Label 40lb. They are a little bit thicker, 0.024" instead of 0.022", the material being slightly less dense. I just wanted to try it to compare with the Premier 40lb.
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am

I just recieve a roll of Seaguar Blue Label 40lb. They are a little bit thicker, 0.024" instead of 0.022", the material being slightly less dense. I just wanted to try it to compare with the Premier 40lb.
Let us know what you think, when you have a good opinion of them.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 am

Okay, I think it's official, I'm either not a carbon guy or they just don't sound good on my guitar.

To my astonishment, I got a set of Pro Arte to sound good on my cheapest guitar.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 am
Okay, I think it's official, I'm either not a carbon guy or they just don't sound good on my guitar.

To my astonishment, I got a set of Pro Arte to sound good on my cheapest guitar.
I'm a nylon guy myself, but every now and then I like to go back to Carbon. I'm curious what you don't like about their sound specifically on your guitars and what you like about the Pro Artes?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 am

I like that Pro Arte strings are easy to find and have good intonation. Relatively fast to stabilize and not too expensive. I just tried the rectified trebles, I like the feel.

Carbon strings...maybe they are a just too modern to me...like digital recordings on audiophile sizzling metal dome tweeters...I prefer a more fabric like quality...silk dome tweeter tone...even a basic paper with slightly rolled off high.

I'll take warmth over bright.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 am
I like that Pro Arte strings are easy to find and have good intonation. Relatively fast to stabilize and not too expensive. I just tried the rectified trebles, I like the feel.

Carbon strings...maybe they are a just too modern to me...like digital recordings on audiophile sizzling metal dome tweeters...I prefer a more fabric like quality...silk dome tweeter tone...even a basic paper with slightly rolled off high.

I'll take warmth over bright.
Did you try keeping them on for a while before taking them off? I recently put some Savarez Alliance Carbons (which are generally known as being the brightest strings on the market). In the first week or two I didn't like them at all and wanted to remove them. But after they really settled in, I liked them quite a bit and didn't find them overly bright at all while having some beauty and complexity to the tone. They also were more powerful, responsive and sustaining as you'd expect from carbon. Although I recognize that the player and the guitar also impact how they will sound.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm

I think it's impossible to write them off as a bad string. I'm quite assured that my technique and playing habits aren't able to coax the carbon string to do what it's supposed to do.

One string doesn't convince me they are all defective, it happens with any string at some point...the more strings you buy, the more you find a bad one or two.

Yes the player is involved here to. I just don't think I'd get a tone I'd be fond of with my current techniques. But that doesn't mean they aren't great strings.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:24 am

Messy, why not try a set of Dogal Diamanté? They are a carbon/nylon hybrid. I've been playing them for a few months now. They have a bit more punch to them than nylon, but sound very warm. The g string sounds like nylon without the tubby factor. petermc61 recommended them to me and I really like them. I found the alliance to be overly bright, but these are different.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 am

pogmoor wrote:
Your title asks "what are they" - my answer is first class guitar strings. I've used Oasis strings on and off since they were first released and they are among the best I have tried.
+1 :bravo: The only disadvantage for me is that they aren't easy to be obtained in Germany and quite expensive here...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:18 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 am
pogmoor wrote:
+1 :bravo: The only disadvantage for me is that they aren't easy to be obtained in Germany and quite expensive here...
Classical strings in Selb/Germany used to sell them. Though they are recently not on their weblist, which is incomplete anyway, you should contact her, because there are other Oasis products there.

Another source quite close to you is the guitarweb shop in Switzerland! :wink:

BTW the only EU source for Daniel Mari strings as far as I know!

Bazza67

Post by Bazza67 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm

I use Oasis carbon strings as my standard strings on most of my guitars. They are not expensive, here in Holland and way easier to get than a set of PB strings, that sound quiet similar to me, at 1/3 of the price.
They last pretty long too
"Paulino Bernabé Torres 2012- Enzo Guido 2015"

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”