Seaguar Blue label vs Premier

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Seaguar Blue label vs Premier

Post by Leo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:49 pm

What is the difference between the Seaguar Blue label and the Premier as far as sound quality? I know that the Blue label is slightly thicker for the same pound test, which I would prefer, since florocarbons are very thin compared to nylon anyways. What is your opinion for those that have tried both?

Tomzooki

Re: Seaguar Blue label vs Premier

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:34 pm

I tried Seaguar premier 40lb, 60lb aan 80lb as 1st, 2nd and 3rd string. I loved it, but the 40lb was really thin and extremely sensitive to the quality of the attack (as soon as I was not religiously pushing the string toward the soundboard I would get a very thin tone. But with the good attack it had a really nice tone). So I tried Seaguar Blue label 40lb. It is much more easy to keep a nice tone, though I somewhat miss the bright ringing quality the Premier 40lb had. But the tone of the Blue Label 40lb blended better with the Premier 60lb and 80lb.

Overall I think the Premiers are a little brighter. The Blue Label sound more like the carbon guitar strings we are used too
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am

Thanks for the information.
Last edited by Leo on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Update on the Blue Label 40lb 1st string: there was a serious delamination problem, the line got all shredded within a few hours of play. I came back to the Premium, which presented absolutely no signs of that problem
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 pm

How do Seaguar's fluorocarbon fishing leader lines sound in terms of accuracy of intonation and tone compared to fluorocarbon classical strings such as DAddario EJ46FF or other brands.

Per Seaguar's site, both the premier and blue label are made with DSF technology:

"Double Structure Fluorocarbon (DSF) creates two custom, 100% Seaguar fluorocarbon resins: a softer exterior resin to enhance knot strength and a high-density interior resin to improve tensile strength that are extruded together as one solid piece. The end result is a high performance fluorocarbon line that offers anglers tremendous application flexibility."

I wonder if the failure of your blue label and not the premier is due to manufacturing defect with the blue label? DSF makes it a more complicated process where more can go wrong IMO.

Thinking out loud here. If perfect control of the 2 densities through the entire length of the line is not achieved, or if adherence between the 2 densities is not 100% for some reasons, then shredding or intonation problems can occur.

Seaguar does make single density fluorocarbon in pink label with suitable diameters for the trebles. Has anyone tried those and how do they sound and how's the intonation?
https://www.seaguar.com/saltwater/fluorocarbon.html

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 pm
... I wonder if the failure of your blue label and not the premier is due to manufacturing defect with the blue label? DSF makes it a more complicated process where more can go wrong IMO...
Not really! It's done in one production process anyway, DSF in double extrusion and homogeneous material in single extrusion, where for bigger sizes double extrusion can be even advantageous! :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”