Mari vs. LaBella

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dyingsea
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:08 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Dyingsea » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Really like Mari's 200ph and 300 sets. Really great nylon G strings which are hard to come by. Labella makes good strings too but I only like one set from them.

Dyingsea
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:08 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Dyingsea » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Really like Mari's 200ph and 300 flamenco sets. Really great nylon G strings which are hard to come by. Labella makes good strings too but I only like one set from them.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm

I want to try the Mari trebles. I don't know which would be about the same tension as med tension Ramirez. Their 200p says it's hard tension, but say it isn't much more than a medium tension set. I don't know if I should try the 200p or 100p first. How are they to play. If they feel stiff or supple, any thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm
I want to try their trebles. I don't know which would be about the same tension as med tension Ramirez. Their 200p says it's hard tension, but say it isn't much more than a medium tension set. I don't know if I should try the 200p or 100p first.
100p. Tension is lower and, in my view, also sound better.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks Peter, I will check out Ostrie Music. The trebles sets are really inexpensive. They were less than $4.00 a set. I will get a few to maximize shipping. How do these do with the Cantigas?

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 am

I'm playing the Mari lights with Cantigas and they are my favorite combination so far. I'll try the medium Mari's with Cantiga's soon. As dyingsea says, the G string is wonderful. As are all the trebles in the set.
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks Jeffrey, good to know. I already have several Cantiga red bass sets on hand, that is why I was wondering.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by petermc61 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm
Thanks Peter, I will check out Ostrie Music. The trebles sets are really inexpensive. They were less than $4.00 a set. I will get a few to maximize shipping. How do these do with the Cantigas?
Cantiga/100p is one of my favourite sets. Generally excellent combination.

Keith
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Land of Daniel Boone

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Keith » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:02 pm

A couple of weeks ago I sent SBM Daniel Mari's info in hopes they pick up Mari strings. For those Mari fans, maybe follow up e-mails to SBM to let them know how popular they are (and how good they are) and SBM should be a dealer. It would be great to get Mari strings from them.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh gosh I was ready to write let's keep this hush hush between ourselves so that there'll be plenty to go around!
*(kidding, I think).

I buy from SBM but Ostrie has been a perfectly fine and good distributor. I have no problems ordering from him. Easy as SBM.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Keith
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Land of Daniel Boone

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Keith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 am

Ostrie is fine--no issues on my part. The advantage of having SBM sell them is because SBM is a system (business). If Mr. Ostrie leaves the scene so does our supply of Mari strings. If someone leaves SBM Mari strings remain. Lastly, buying Mari strings from SBM means we can buy our other strings, especially bass strings if we decide not to go with the Mari basses, without having to pay an additional shipping charge.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Leo
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:45 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Leo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 am

Keith wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 am
Ostrie is fine--no issues on my part. The advantage of having SBM sell them is because SBM is a system (business). If Mr. Ostrie leaves the scene so does our supply of Mari strings. If someone leaves SBM Mari strings remain. Lastly, buying Mari strings from SBM means we can buy our other strings, especially bass strings if we decide not to go with the Mari basses, without having to pay an additional shipping charge.
I have talked to SBM in the past and they said they can"t stock Mari strings because of a conflict with another supplier (La Bella).

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by petermc61 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 am

Leo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 am
Keith wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 am
Ostrie is fine--no issues on my part. The advantage of having SBM sell them is because SBM is a system (business). If Mr. Ostrie leaves the scene so does our supply of Mari strings. If someone leaves SBM Mari strings remain. Lastly, buying Mari strings from SBM means we can buy our other strings, especially bass strings if we decide not to go with the Mari basses, without having to pay an additional shipping charge.
I have talked to SBM in the past and they said they can"t stock Mari strings because of a conflict with another supplier (La Bella).
Funny things Americans do sometimes. I wonder if this is for fear of upsetting the bigger supplier or commercial leverage imposed by La Bella. I am afraid it sounds anti-competitive to me, putting supplier interests ahead of consumer interests.

Keith
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Land of Daniel Boone

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by Keith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

I suspect La Bella may not want a distributor to sell Mari strings because Daniel Mari is part of the family that started/owns La Bella and then split. I suspect the split may not have been all that friendly.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Mari vs. LaBella

Post by petermc61 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am

Keith wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am
I suspect La Bella may not want a distributor to sell Mari strings because Daniel Mari is part of the family that started/owns La Bella and then split. I suspect the split may not have been all that friendly.
I understand the sentiment but what I don't understand is how that translates into what brands SBM does or doesn't sell.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”