email I wrote to Hannabach

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
soltirefa

email I wrote to Hannabach

Post by soltirefa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello,

At this website

http://hannabach.com/PDFs/HANNABACH.pdf

The chart shows the string tension for the trebles consistently going up (yellow to green, green to black, black to blue, etc).

But at this website

http://www.hns.cz/hannabach.pdf

The chart shows the tension for trebles in sets is the same tension between some colors (green to black is the same tension, blue to red is the same).

Which is the truth?

Flapjack

Re: email I wrote to Hannabach

Post by Flapjack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

I hope you have better luck than I did with Savarez. Their website has conflicting information about string tensions and I asked for clarification, i.e., which tensions are correct. I indicated the particular sets and tensions that had the inconsistent information. The response I got after writing 2 follow-up emails, several weeks after the first email, was that they have normal and high tension string options.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I had a look at the two pdfs. I see only a marginal difference when comparing the chart at the beginning of the two documents. I would believe the newer document from the Hannabach site rather that the old version from the Czech dealer site.

The Hannabach document is from Dec 2014 (look at at the pdf properties) where as the older version on the other site is from Oct 2006 (looking at properties). Quite a few minor changes can take place in that span of time.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm

The Hannabach document is from Dec 2014 (look at at the pdf properties) where as the older version on the other site is from Oct 2006 (looking at properties). Quite a few minor changes can take place in that span of time.
Thanks for that. I never knew about checking pdf properties. I think you are right. Most likely the 2014 pdf is the best reference. My fingers were telling me that the tension went up between sets (felt like it was higher tension to my hand), but then I wondered when I saw that older pdf that said the tension was the same between sets for the trebles.

I have one guitar that really likes high tension strings. I want to move up to super high tension Hannabach 815s, but I didn't want to bother if it was going to be the same as the high tension trebles.

Thanks again.

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:50 am

I have been playing 815LT on the high E and B strings. I have some 815MT and whenever I put them on I notice a definite increase in tension, more so than the Hannabach numbers would indicate. I am not sure I like the higher tension, I think they can be louder but take more force to get there.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:26 am

I am not sure I like the higher tension, I think they can be louder but take more force to get there.
I have some guitars that feel good with super-low tension Hannabach trebles, others with low-tension, and my 10-string which feels good with very high tension. Interestingly, it has nothing to do with differences in scale length, in fact the shorter scale guitars feel best with either super-low or low. It has more to do with the guitar's top, how much is "gives" or "flexes" when I play.

I only like Hannabach's trebles. I use other brands for the basses.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”