light gauge strings=easier ornaments?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jeffrey Armbruster

light gauge strings=easier ornaments?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm currently playing with Mari light gauge strings, and they're fantastic. It's taken awhile for my right hand to adjust, however. Anyway, I'm suddenly finding trills etc. much easier to play. Maybe--hopefully--I've just made a small leap in being able to play ornaments, the way tnat sometimes happens. OR, the very light Mari strings are easier for this. Which would be a big reason to stay with the light gauge. Any knowledge?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: light gauge strings=easier ornaments?

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Some of us active here are playing low/light tension strings (La Bella, Augustine, other) with great satisfaction; Ramon Amira active here has been advocating such strings and there is even informal "Ramon Amira Low Tension Strings Club" :)
viewtopic.php?t=95392
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes, with low tension strings ornaments are easier to play, but they are not just easier to play - they are also clearer, cleaner, and have more substance. And the same is true not only of ornaments, but slurs of all kinds. Low tension strings also provide more sustain, and substantially and noticeably more resonance, resulting in richer and more vibrant tone. All this is not only heard, but it is FELT by the player.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 am

I find tremolo harder to play if the strings are too light, my fingers like something more responsive.
Although I can't say I have tried strings that are specifically light gauge.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”