Savarez Corum 500 RH polished

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Savarez Corum 500 RH polished

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:24 pm

I found a set of Savarez Corum 500 RH Polished NT (Red) and put it on one of my guitars. As I didn't read the label very carefully I didn't first realize it has polished basses, but then I thought, these basses are very smooth and fine, and then read that they are polished indeed.

The only word I can come up describing them is 'elegant'. This is a very smoothly playing set of well sounding bass strings, I must say. The grain of salt here that they are quite expensive and not as easy to get. I'm curious how long they will last.
This set is a big surprise to me. I had played LaBella polished strings and didn't like them much but these are a very ... hmm, elegant set.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

souldier

Re: Savarez Corum 500 RH polished

Post by souldier » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Are these basically corum basses that are polished? Savarez Corum basses are among my favorite, so I should probably give these a try.

edit: Just saw the price for 3 bass strings... $26, which is a bit too steep for me. Let me know how they play in and how long they last. What benefits does one get from polished basses other than string noise reduction?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:42 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxn25ahkzwako ... o.wav?dl=0 (my own playing)

Here's a spontaneous improvisation I did on the flamenca negra where I put the strings (recorded on iPhone via Zoom iQ7 microphone). Just a bit of reverb added, no EQ or compression. The buzz is because the action is very low.

I find the strings sound very full and, most important, not dull as opposed to many other polished strings I tried. They not only reduce string (shfting) noise but they give a very positive elegant playing feel - in lack of another description ...

Yes, the price is steep. I'll see how long they last.

As I didn't play 'normal' Corum NT yet, I don't know how they compare. They are certainly much more agreeable than 'normal' Corum HTwhich are too stiff for my taste.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:42 pm

It seems that this model is discontinued. There is a polished version of Cantiga New Cristal
Savarez 510 CJH New Cristal CANTIGA Polished blue (HT) and
Savarez 510 CRH New Cristal CANTIGA Polished red (NT)
instead, but I never tried that. They are similarly expensive like Corum polished.

They might be event better, as much as I prefer Cantiga to Corum in their normal unpolished versions.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”