Paul Fischer E string

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ElectricLute

Paul Fischer E string

Post by ElectricLute » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 pm

The Fischer is a 1984 guitar that I had bought a number of years ago . All the other strings have a very beautiful warm sound , however the E nylon string ( I use Augustine Blue my go to strings for many years ) has a very resonant metallic sound only when played open . Very unbalanced in volume also .
Does anyone with a Fischer have the same issue or is it his design to play this way . Is there a string that can fix this ? I rarely play it for this reason which is really unfortunate . It's not my style of playing or my nails . My other guitars are fine .
1984 Paul Fischer
1975 Tamura
2000 Oskar Graf 10 string
Alhambra 9P CW
La Patrie Collection
Ibanez Artcore AF95-TK-12-01
Takamine EG43SC
8 course lute Larry Brown

astro64

Re: Paul Fischer E string

Post by astro64 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:35 am

You might want to have the nut slot checked. The open E can be tricky in general, but it is also possible the nut slot is a bit too wide, and then the open string rattles against the edges giving an unpleasant tone.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm

ElectricLute wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 pm
Does anyone with a Fischer have the same issue or is it his design to play this way .
Sorry to hear you're having an issue.
Fischer enjoys an international reputation so I very much doubt he designs his guitars this way. I'll bet it's specific to your guitar.

A very good friend of mine who lives very close to Mr. Fischer and visits him regularly, recently told me that he has recovered well and is indeed building a little again. Why don't you contact him directly?

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:38 pm

The top string is tough on any guitar. I agree that it is highly unlikely related to the luthier's instruments.

Try the nut, you can put a piece of cardboard around the string at the nut (hold a piece of a business card in there while you tighten it back up, then trim. Is it better? If so, its the nut. If not, try other strings. I have had issues like this, try Savarez New Cristal and D'Addario Pro Arte EXTRA hard tension, they are both warm nylon strings, more so than the Augustine.

Good luck!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”