Raising string tension slowly

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Raising string tension slowly

Post by Leo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

I have had some issues with some strings not having good intonation, mostly on Aquila treble strings. I have found that if you slowly bring the strings up to full tension it helps with intonation problems. I do this on a overnight basis, with the strings tuned down several notes from full tension the night before, and then bringing them up to full tension the next day slowly. I have several guitars so this is not a problem, I can play the other two.

I don't think it totally cures any intonation issues, but it seems to make them tolerable.

souldier

Re: Raising string tension slowly

Post by souldier » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Interesting. Would you say the tone of the Aquilas makes them worth the effort?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Leo

Post by Leo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 pm

I have quite a few sets to use, and I do like the tone of the strings. Lots of unique string types in the Aquila lineup.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 am

Electronic tuning and ear tuning can yield mixed results. I like Aquila, but if I rely merely on my digital tuner, I'm always off in places on the 12th fret.

But I am also off with D Addario strings. I think it's worth considering that all guitars are built different and fret placement no matter how precise, does not account for the main body resonance of the guitar top. The great luthiers suggest that there is a certain main resonance to the body of the guitar...that is true and the kind of tuning that makes a guitar sound good really depends on using harmonics and getting a nice relative pitch to the body...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that intonation issues are as much an artifact of the guitar itself as they are an artifact of the human ear. Use the tuner as a guide to get to pitch. But also realize that your electronic tuner doesn't have a damn bit of a clue when it comes to how the top is vibrating.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 am

Theoretically and technically, it is correct. When the string is pulled gradually, the reduction of the string cross section will be more even. And it is good for top when its tension is gradually Increased. The stress concentrations at tunner roll, nut and saddle will affect the reduction of string cross section. If the string cross section is not even, the sound definitely will not good...
German V. Rubio Concert, S/MP
Otto Vowinkel Concert, C/BRW
Kenny Hiil Performance, Double Top/MP
Juan Hernandez Torres, S/IRW

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 am

I've noticed that raising to pitch slowly does help with this and the strings settle faster. I don't use a peg winder when putting on new strings, and I don't tune above pitch as this cause the strings to stretch in an uneven way affecting intonation. This is true of all strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”