string slip at roller

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jeffrey Armbruster

string slip at roller

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm

two days ago I put on new strings. Everything was fine. this morning--third day--I clipped the excess string from the bridge and the rollers, tuned up and the first string wouldn't hold; slipped at the roller. After two days! I restrung it; same thing. Third time was a charm.

This has never happened before. I'm using Mari light gauge which is a thin string. But I've used them before with no issues.
Anyway, I'm not expecting or having any issues with the already stretched but restrung first string. Of course, it had to happen just after I clipped the excess string!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

oc chuck

Re: string slip at roller

Post by oc chuck » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:02 pm

On the first string , after going through the roller, I wrap the string
around itself 3x's. On b' and g' strings I put 2 wraps.

Also , on the bridge end I also tie a tight knot on the end of the string.

frets dot com has a good classical guitar string tutorial,
but still I put and extra wrap on both ends of the high e' string.

There are a lot of instructions on line and different methods.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm

put it thru the hole twice
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Oh no I'm happy with my stringing technique--I've never had an issue, except once with a g string while stringing a new brand. However, putting the string through the hole twice is something I never thought of! Thanks.

Mostly, I thought that it was unusual to have a string slip after two days of pretty lengthy sessions. I mean, why not earlier?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:55 pm
Oh no I'm happy with my stringing technique--I've never had an issue, except once with a g string while stringing a new brand. However, putting the string through the hole twice is something I never thought of! Thanks.

Mostly, I thought that it was unusual to have a string slip after two days of pretty lengthy sessions. I mean, why not earlier?
It was 'about to slip' earlier :D
I just re strung a top e - swqpped to an old ej46, so it was cut shortish. I went through twice without any wrap back under and it slipped straight away' Had to get a tuck back and around as normal.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Very strange. Never had that happen to me in all of these years with all types of strings and I personally would not be happy with my restringing method if the string slips out of the roller. I'd definitely look into Cordoba's youtube video on how to restring a guitar. I've used many methods before, but I definitely like the one on their video as it is rock solid and allows me to loosen the strings without taking them off if ever I need to do work on the guitar.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Phuong Hong

Post by Phuong Hong » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm

bear wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm
put it thru the hole twice
I also do this, but insert it in a way that creates a loop around the tensioned part of the string. This website shows it better: http://www.derek-hasted.co.uk/faqs/restring/
It's extremely secure and very easy to loosen up afterwards.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 am

I had similar issues in some guitars where the roller were some "plastic" material, as the guys comment passing the string twice works well (specially passing the tip in the "U" shape like commented in the post before)

As my current guitars have "metallic" rollers there is no issue (the string gets a scratch when sitting in the roller hole, so it wont go anywhere)...

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Bad lucky...Heck I had three D strings fray at the ends...and that was with three different brands...in three days...we get unlucky sometimes.

Burn up those strings, or use them to tie random bits. I used a broken string to tie a bicycle light on my road bike...works like a charm :)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Do you just twist the string a few times at the roller when you or do you tie a knot at the roller?I've done it both ways, and haven't had any trou b let with either way yet. Perhaps messy is right...Maybe sometimes it just happens.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 am

I twist the strings around themselves at the roller. This slip is a curious one-off, as far as I can tell. I've changed a lot of strings. My method has worked all but...once, really. I made some kind of a mistake. Most likely, I was inattentive. I think that, no matter your method, you will eventually make some kind of mistake. This alone doesn't discredit the method.

p.s. my rollers are "some kind of plastic material" as was mentioned above. Hmmm...
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 am
Ithink that, no matter your method, you will eventually make some kind of mistake. This alone doesn't discredit the method.
The big mistake that I have made is clipping the string completely off when trying to cut the excess off at the roller. I have had better results since I switched from standard wire cutters to a small end nipper. Subject of another thread I suppose.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”