Best clip on tuner

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Charles Mokotoff

Best clip on tuner

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

Its been a while since I have considered another tuner since I am pretty happy with my Super Snark, but was just wondering what the thoughts were out there. Please don't suggest tuning apps for the phone or tablet, I know many are significantly better based on price/performance. But I am only asking about clip on tuners. The Super Snark is very good, it's just a bit big and sometimes cannot register a pitch of the low E string. Other than that, I like it a lot.

Wondering what else is out there that has been evaluated by performers, I'd love to find a smaller, yet easy to read and highly accurate alternative if it exists.

joachim33

Re: Best clip on tuner

Post by joachim33 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am

This is reasonably up to date:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102584&hilit=Head+stock+tuner

Also some discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=114809

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Been liking the NS Mini for the head stock and more lately the one for the sound hole. The one for the soundhole seems to be a bit more responsive probably because it is right on the soundboard. I've been using these for years and don't look elsewhere. I like how it becomes a part of the guitar and stays on 24/7, and how it is very low profile and discrete so they can even stay on during performance. Other clip on tuners I find look and feel clunky and are more prone to being damaged. The only other time I really use a snark is when I am changing strings and need to see the pitch while tuning up the strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:21 pm

I also like the NS Micro, stays on, seems to work well, and will not break of like the snark does sometimes. The snark has a weakness at the ball joint, and can sometimes break off.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm

TC Polytune and Snark (don't know which model) have worked well for me. The TC is a bit more sleek and expensive.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

If best means the most accurate, then Peterson StroboClip HD. (It just came out 2 months ago as an update on the Stroboscope model). It has the same accuracy of 1/10 of a cent as the old version, but looks much cooler :D

stroboClipHD.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by guitarrista on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:47 pm

What is the "sweetener" above GTR (guitar?) on the stroboclip? A function, or just a blurb?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:47 pm
What is the "sweetener" above GTR (guitar?) on the stroboclip? A function, or just a blurb?
It is a function - one of 50 alternative tunings, I think. Google the name of the tuner and look at the features and specs.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:57 pm

another vote for the micro tuner I really like mine
Yamaha GC-31

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks, all...found the older topic which was also helpful.
Is the Peterson StroboClip HD really worth the extra money? Is the guitar that much better in tune?

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Some Amazon reviews about the new Peterson mention its clip will barely fit on a classical headstock. It does look new and sleek though..

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Hotsoup wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm
Some Amazon reviews about the new Peterson mention its clip will barely fit on a classical headstock. It does look new and sleek though..
I have the same issue with the D'Addario/Planet wave micro NS. It just fits my instrument's headstock on its widest setting.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Yeah, that strobe clip doesn't look like it could take the thickness of a classical headstock. I will stick with my standard blue Snark. I do keep a new one in the box on hand at all times because I've had one take a dump on me before. It breaks at the ball joint eventually.

Has anyone tried the Crescendo ZenStrobe clip on Tuner? Big River has them for 28 bucks. I might give that a try if the clip fits.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:35 am

I have the older Peterson model. It is plenty accurate, no doubt, but I am not sure you'd need it. If your only alternative is one of those micro tuners, then, yes you could do better, but e.g. against my older Korg clip-on tuner, the strobe tuner comes to the same result within my hearing ability.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 am

I haven't used the clip on but the TC Electronic Polytune is the best tuner I've even seen. Extremely quick and responsive and has polyphonic tuning (hit all strings at once and it shows which are out of tune). It's great for checking tuning really quick. The polytune clip on is bassically the same tuner in clip on form.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”