Best clip on tuner

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
guitarrista

Re: Best clip on tuner

Post by guitarrista » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:10 am

Hotsoup wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm
Some Amazon reviews about the new Peterson mention its clip will barely fit on a classical headstock.
That's true, but it does fit, just not in a mid-range position for the clamp.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Thanks, all...found the older topic which was also helpful.
Is the Peterson StroboClip HD really worth the extra money? Is the guitar that much better in tune?
It is for me, but I am probably weird :D I just couldn't stand any tuners I tried until I bought this one (have both the old and the new model) - now my guitar is finally sufficiently in tune for my ears.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

mando48

Post by mando48 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 pm

I did not like the Peterson tuner, not because it was inaccurate it ,is very accurate, but I don't need a guitar tuner with the learning curve of a new cell phone!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:22 am

I have the older version of Peterson StroboClip. It is the most accurate that I have encountered (against the large Peterson's model). Definitely overkill for most people. A worthwhile use for such accuracy is to evaluate the intonation of your guitars at all frets.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 am

Any one here used a Korg Pitchcrow? http://www.korg.com/se/products/tuners/pitchcrow_g/

This seems to offer a strobe mode in an inexpensive package. Does it work on a nylon string guitar?

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am

I have tried a couple more since reading through this thread. The PolyTune is it, exactly what I was seeking. Tuning with this is more precise, head and shoulders, over any other tuner I have tried.

The D'Addario Eclipse I didn't like at all, its not even as precise as the Snark, and not as easy to read, less intuitive and generally clunky.

I would try the StroboClip some day, but for now I am completely satisfied with this one, thanks to all for suggestions.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 am

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am
I have tried a couple more since reading through this thread. The PolyTune is it, exactly what I was seeking. Tuning with this is more precise, head and shoulders, over any other tuner I have tried.

The D'Addario Eclipse I didn't like at all, its not even as precise as the Snark, and not as easy to read, less intuitive and generally clunky.

I would try the StroboClip some day, but for now I am completely satisfied with this one, thanks to all for suggestions.
Fully second this. I have been using the Stroboclip tuner for long time now but the PolyTune is faster, more real-time, the clamp is much better designed, handling is better, it’s smaller and from what I hear, the tuning result is at least equal to the Stroboclip. BTW I use the PolyTune exclusively in Strobo mode, whereas the PolyTune mode works surprisingly well for a first orientation.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Is the Peterson StroboClip HD really worth the extra money? Is the guitar that much better in tune?
Yes. I gave up using Snark's because they are just not accurate enough, to my ears at least (and I used to be a drummer).

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

es335 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 am
Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am

Fully second this. I have been using the Stroboclip tuner for long time now but the PolyTune is faster, more real-time, the clamp is much better designed, handling is better, it’s smaller and from what I hear, the tuning result is at least equal to the Stroboclip. BTW I use the PolyTune exclusively in Strobo mode, whereas the PolyTune mode works surprisingly well for a first orientation.
And they now have come out with the Unitune for $30! It's basically the same as the polytune except it doesn't do polyphonic mode.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:05 pm

robin loops wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

And they now have come out with the Unitune for $30! It's basically the same as the polytune except it doesn't do polyphonic mode.
What? I just bought the PolyTune!
Its cool, I sorta like seeing the full green line of strings in tune, but I wouldn't use that feature on stage, I'd do the one at a time when folks are listening, little kinder to the audience I think.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:43 pm

robin loops wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm
I just received the Unitune yesterday. As my strings were still stretching from a change the day before, it got a good workout.
Early impressions:
- compact and sturdy, has weight to it
- on/off button on the end is awkward, but not a big deal
- very sensitive and quick to respond
- easy to read, bright display
- seems like the strobe mode can be slightly more accurate (you'll get green "in tune" light but can still see the slight strobe movement flat or sharp. The other mode doesn't give any indication, but still works well.)

So far I like it better than both Snark and Korg clip-ons that I have used. In quiet environments, I'll probably still use Tunable on my phone.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 am

Recently had a first lesson with a new student, and he took out a clip-on. I've never used one, but I tried it. Great - the entire window turns bright green when in tune. Tuned perfectly. Very expensive - $8. :D I bought one, and so far I don't use anything else.

MUGIG

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:02 am

I've owned a Delta Lab tuner for almost a year and find it quite satisfactory. It's got all the bells and whistles. But I just tune with it. I like the strong dial lighting, graphics and its texture has a rubbery kind of feel about it. It also has the 'hinged and swivel' action instead of the ball joint that, in my experience is the problem with the Snark; the ball joints get worn down and in time ceases to work because it no longer conveys the vibrations to the dial. The hinge and swivel type seems to remain very firm. The clamp is strong. The on-off button is the whole upper left front corner of the casing. No feeble searching for the button; it's a cinch. Has auto-shut off. It was about $25.00. I'm quite happy with it..M ..

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm

I like the Planet Waves Micro NS. It's inconspicuous enough to leave on (especially when mounted through the head slots and on the back of the head. It fits all but one of the guitars I've tried it on. That one was just too thick. But I only tune the A string to it. The rest I tune by ear. YMMV
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:17 am

jayjayrose wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm
I like the Planet Waves Micro NS. It's inconspicuous enough to leave on (especially when mounted through the head slots and on the back of the head. It fits all but one of the guitars I've tried it on. That one was just too thick. But I only tune the A string to it. The rest I tune by ear. YMMV
+1, works well, inconspicuous and reasonably priced. :D

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”