Best clip on tuner

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Rich Wolf

Re: Best clip on tuner

Post by Rich Wolf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 am

I have the Peterson Stroboclip and a Kliq Ubertuner. I use the Peterson much more often than the Kliq.
Cordoba C10 Parlor

Ledhand75

Post by Ledhand75 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 am

Kliq UberTuner for me. It’s quick, accurate, sturdy, and very well priced.

I much prefer it to the Peterson StroboClip, which I found unnecessarily complicated.

mrdarcy

Post by mrdarcy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Heads up for the NS micro.

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

I got 3 clipon tuners from e - b a y. They took a month to come from China, cost $10 delivered for all three, and are good enough for me. I also have an expensive Peterson strobe tuner. The Chinese tuners work just as well especially if I just tune the A string by the tuner and the rest of the strings by ear. Don't leave the clipon tuners on the guitar after playing. They may eventually mare the finish.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm
The Chinese tuners work just as well especially if I just tune the A string by the tuner and the rest of the strings by ear. Don't leave the clipon tuners on the guitar after playing. They may eventually mare the finish.
The tuners work well if you tune by ear? Why not just use a tuning fork?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm
I got 3 clipon tuners from e - b a y. They took a month to come from China, cost $10 delivered for all three, and are good enough for me. I also have an expensive Peterson strobe tuner. The Chinese tuners work just as well especially if I just tune the A string by the tuner and the rest of the strings by ear. Don't leave the clipon tuners on the guitar after playing. They may eventually mare the finish.
Yes, they can mar the finish of French polish. Ramirez owners (I'm one) need not worry. ;-)
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

jimwilly

Post by jimwilly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm

I found that the D'Addario/Planet wave tuner works well, though I much prefer the sound hole model. The one that clips to the head stock is more difficult to see and also seems to vibrate with certain notes in a way that is noticeable and irritating to me. This does not seem to happen with the sound hole model.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 am

Well, ladies and gentlemen....
Another Snark bites the Dust!

Another death by disintegrating ball joint. It took three years, so I guess it's not too much to worry about. I think I will try the Peterson strobo-clip next, and I've still got three other Snarks.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Something to consider with the strobo clip HD tuner. The clip doesn't open wide enough to stay on some thicker guitar headstocks. Peterson is supposed to be offering a wider opening clip assembly after the first of the year.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:42 pm
Something to consider with the strobo clip HD tuner. The clip doesn't open wide enough to stay on some thicker guitar headstocks. Peterson is supposed to be offering a wider opening clip assembly after the first of the year.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye open for that.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Seconding the Micro NS. Love that it's inconspicuous and small enough to leave on the guitar.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Carl

Post by Carl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 am

jayjayrose wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm
I like the Planet Waves Micro NS. It's inconspicuous enough to leave on (especially when mounted through the head slots and on the back of the head. It fits all but one of the guitars I've tried it on. That one was just too thick. But I only tune the A string to it. The rest I tune by ear. YMMV
I like this tuner also as it is so small and stays attached so its always there and ready.

I have a couple of other clipon tuners and did a simultaneous comparison a while back and the Micro NS showed a very slight bias toward flat. When I use it I compensate by slightly tuning sharp - just barely. Not sure if this is just due to my guitar's tone, the unit itself, or a combination of the two.

rwe

Post by rwe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:20 am

My first was a Korg DT-1 that a won years ago. Years later I bought a Korg AW-1. A good and accurate tool with piezo AND microphone but unfortunately our child broke the clip. So I changed to the old Peterson. It's a very good tuner, tuning is not so quick, but - as I think - more exact, especially when playing in a guitar orchestra. I compared it with the tool of our piano dealer, the peterson showed exactly the same results.
For a second instrument I bought a cheap (10€) "Stanford" tuner. Good display but not so accurate as the Peterson, especially not in the bass strings / with a bass. This tuner broke and I replaced it by a new Snark. It's ok too, also for the bass, but the Peterson will be my favourite in this moment. (I will try the Polytune, the Korg Sledgehammer and the new Peterson.)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Got The tc electronic uni tuner for christmas and (as I suspected) love it. Perhaps even more responsive than the polytune 2 mini. I'll post back on battery life when i burn through the first battery.

One cool factor is that the display flips if you turn it around so you can place towards front or back of headstock or on a right or left handed guitar without having to flip the mount. I find the view is blocked when tuning some strings of its toward the back side so I leave it toward the front. Probably switch it around (so the audience doesn't see it) for live performances.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am

I recently got a Korg Pitchcrow tuner and noticed that it wouldn't pick up fretted notes, it just works on open strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”