Any reason silver is more favored than bronze wrapped basses?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

Any reason silver is more favored than bronze wrapped basses?

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Seems most everybody who is anybody uses silver wrap for classical. Anybody care to share anecdotes as to why Bronze is not really favored or appreciated much.

lagartija

Re: Any reason silver is more favored than bronze wrapped basses?

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 pm

I think for some people, their body chemistry would result in greenish fingers after playing bronze strings! :-P
With silver plating, most people come away with relatively clean fingers, even if they cause oxidation of the silver plating.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Every bronze string I have ever played has been DOA.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:33 pm
Every bronze string I have ever played has been DOA.

Ramon
Did you try Aranjuez A800 Suave? BTW light tension strings! The basses feature silver coated bronze wires and do sound much different, particularly more lively, than other plain bronze wound basses.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:48 pm

I agree, bronze just doesn't sound good on classical guitars. Great for steel string acoustic guitars though. The strings sounded dead, even though they were new. I will say though that I've heard some pure silver strings on expensive guitars, that sounded just okay, but not worth the cost.

Pede

Post by Pede » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:11 pm

I don’t agree on this. Sometimes I switch the Knobloch Sterling basses for Hannabach pure gold strings. They have a very beautiful sound. They sound very profound and full. I don’t like basses that sound een clear.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 am

Pede wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:11 pm
I don’t agree on this. Sometimes I switch the Knobloch Sterling basses for Hannabach pure gold strings. They have a very beautiful sound. They sound very profound and full. I don’t like basses that sound een clear.
H. Golds are not Bronze. They are Gold. They give the CG a more rounded sound. Silver Strings are brighter. If I had a dark guitar, I would use Silver strings. If I had a Spruce or a brighter Cedar, I'd use the H. Golds. I have been using the H. Golds for 10 years on my LoPrinzi Cedar. I do not like the H. trebles since they are dead sounding. I use Savarez Carbons. It is a perfect balance for the LoPrinzi. I hope this helps. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 am

I have used the strings of the Hannabach 825 family, and found that the thin layer of pure gold coat will wear out extremely fast due to its softness. To me it's not worth the price. Others are entitled to disagree.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 am
I have used the strings of the Hannabach 825 family, and found that the thin layer of pure gold coat will wear out extremely fast due to its softness. To me it's not worth the price. Others are entitled to disagree.
Hi, B,
Just for some balance . . . the H. Golds are the longest lasting strings I have ever played and I have highly acidic hands. I have been using Dunlop 65 string cleaner and conditioner after each playing session. I play 2-3 hours daily and the Gold basses will easily last 2 months without loss of intonation/projection. The trebles are mediocre and have about a 3-4 week life which is why I use the Savarez Carbons. However, in all fairness, the price tag is quite hefty for the H. Golds and unless you're a frequent performer who wants a particular sound, there are many other less expensive options that will work just fine: D'Addario EJ45's and Aranjuez Classic Silver 300 are a couple good choices. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”