Has anybody ordered custom sets from SBM?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Has anybody ordered custom sets from SBM?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks to Trevor for the explanation.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 pm

That’s interesting Trevor. In that case I would have expected that when I substitute, say, a Knobloch or similar brand of medium-high carbon G string over a medium/normal tension nylon G I’d expect to hear a louder string. If that was observable then there would be a risk if that string standing out as being appreciably louder and not integrating. I don’t think I have ever heard anybody report that when using a carbon G of any tension, even high. In fact, it often gets reported as integrating better between the d and b strings.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 pm
That’s interesting Trevor. In that case I would have expected that when I substitute, say, a Knobloch or similar brand of medium-high carbon G string over a medium/normal tension nylon G I’d expect to hear a louder string. If that was observable then there would be a risk if that string standing out as being appreciably louder and not integrating. I don’t think I have ever heard anybody report that when using a carbon G of any tension, even high. In fact, it often gets reported as integrating better between the d and b strings.
That's indeed what I observe on my guitars. Maybe my strange ears?! :lol:
The better balance between d and g or b and g is something different IMHO. Part of this "mismatch" is the lack of harmonics due to the big size and stiffness of the tubby Nylon g strings. Fluorocarbon g string do have a significant smaller diameter (>20%) and thus sound brighter which is a better match with the thinner d string.

It's similar for b versus g. Typical fluorocarbon g strings do have about the diameter of Nylon b strings (app. 0.84 mm), which results in a more similar overtone spectrum than the big Nylon g. :wink:

Trevor Gore

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 am

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 pm
The usual complaint is that the fat nylon G sounds tubby with low sustain and hence low volume after the initial attack, compared to the surrounding strings, thus leaving a "hole" in the sound. A carbon G, being thinner, has more partials that are closer to being harmonic and there being less material, it is also less damped. Consequently, it integrates better with the other strings, where a fat nylon G doesn't. So it's more a case of a carbon G bringing the level to "normal" compared to a nylon G where the level is "sub-normal". The tension range of nylon G's and carbon G's overlaps a lot.

Phil Lewis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Phil Lewis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am
For those who want "Chapter and verse", Section 1.5 in "Design" (specifically Fig. 1.5-5 in Section 1.5.5) for those who have the books.
Ooh, which books?
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 am

I've always used the D'Addario EJ44 extra hard tension. Why? Because way back when, my teacher said they were best. No explanation why... always found him to be good technically, but since then I've developed a better ear and recall his not being strong in the musicality department. I've started playing again after 20 years and ordered several SBM 'customer concoction' sets. I haven't tried any just yet - will post again in a couple of weeks. One set has a wound 'g'. Never heard of these before. Does anyone have any comments? Did I waste my money?
2017 Steven Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 am

Mike

You are doing a very sensible thing trying other strings with an open mind. Wound g strings can be good, as can carbon. Really it all comes down to what you like the feel and sound of most.

Peter

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:13 am

Good advice - thanks Peter.
2017 Steven Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”