Are heavier Gauge strings less prone to buzz?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Are heavier Gauge strings less prone to buzz?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:59 pm

My question is this...
Are heavier Gauge strings better for achieving a lower action with less buzz than normal, or low tension strings? I was just thinking that a heavier string would oscillate in tighter circles than a looser feeling string of lower Tension? Or, is this just Myth?

souldier

Re: Are heavier Gauge strings less prone to buzz?

Post by souldier » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 am

Generally yes. In my experience, higher tension strings reduce buzz considerably and can be driven harder. However, I personally don't like bringing the action so low to the point that buzzing really becomes an issue as it really limits right hand expression and technique. I think it is worth getting used to a reasonably higher action so that a variety of string tensions without worrying about buzz.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 am

souldier wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 am
Generally yes. In my experience, higher tension strings reduce buzz considerably and can be driven harder. However, I personally don't like bringing the action so low to the point that buzzing really becomes an issue as it really limits right hand expression and technique. I think it is worth getting used to a reasonably higher action so that a variety of string tensions without worrying about buzz.
The action on the guitar in question is 3.6mm on the low E, and 3.2mm on the high E. What is the action on your guitar and what kind of strings do you have on your Guitar?
Scott

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 am
souldier wrote:
The action on the guitar in question is 3.6mm on the low E, and 3.2mm on the high E. What is the action on your guitar and what kind of strings do you have on your Guitar?
Scott
FWIW, I use Labella 2001 Low Tension strings and my guitar is set up at 3.0/3.5 mm (no buzzing - other than what comes from my sloppy and inaccurate LH fingering).

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 am
souldier wrote:
Scott
My action is around 3.9mm on the low E and I use a variety of different strings depending on my mood, but my favorite combo is La Bella 2001 Medium Trebles paired with NT Savarez Corum basses. I find that it is around this action and above where the guitar can be driven harder without issues with buzz. 3.5mm works fine if normally play with a softer right hand. Often I like to do rest strokes with my thumb on the bass strings to add a bit more depth and power, but this will most likely buzz with a lower action. Though it is important to remember there are other factors other than action height such as neck angle, neck relief and top compliance that can influence whether a guitar will be less prone to buzzing or not.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”