Thinking of going hard or high tension

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dylan

Thinking of going hard or high tension

Post by Dylan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm

I usually play with low or light tension strings but recently have been contemplating experimenting with hard strings. What are your thoughts on the difference? Also, what strings do you recommend? Try to stay on the cheaper side, I'm a grad student! Lastly, what are carbon strings and what are their benefits?

MessyTendon

Re: Thinking of going hard or high tension

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Only way way to find out :)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Just do this and examine the results:
hightensionstrings.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 pm

I will usually use hard tension strings on short scale guitars, just because the tension is lower with a short scale and it helps keep the strings from feeling like wet spaghetti noodles. Hence, my wife's 610mm with hard tension strings that would have 103 lbs of tension if it was a 650mm, gives much less tension according to D'Addarios string calculator.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Dylan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm
I usually play with low or light tension strings but recently have been contemplating experimenting with hard strings. What are your thoughts on the difference? Also, what strings do you recommend? Try to stay on the cheaper side, I'm a grad student! Lastly, what are carbon strings and what are their benefits?
You have s tutor? I would seek his/her input.

If you want to understand the effect of tension, I would use a higher tension version of the string you are currently using. That gets manufacturer and model out of the equation.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I like the Ramirez HT strings on my 650. But it has a truss rod. Usually if the guitar has no truss rod I will stick to medium tension. If you wanted to try an in between set, try a pack of Savarez 520R at about 90lbs of tension. D'Addario EJ45 medium tension are about 85lbs.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 am

Other than a carbon g my advice would be not to do it. Just try different brands of low and medium tension strings.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I have found that some guitars respond better to low/medium strings while other guitars respond better to hard tension. Only way to find out what you prefer for that guitar is to try. Brands to try is Augustine Blue/Imperial, Savarez Corum New Cristal, La Bella HT (though this is probably closer to MT)...

Carbon strings have a thinner diameter and higher tension. They are louder, more sustaining and more responsive, but they may have less tonal variation and a different timbre. I enjoy them from time to time but usually return to nylon for their moral traditional tone.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

lux

Post by lux » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:16 am

To the extent that neither your guitar nor your fingernails present any limitations of quality, the choice between normal and hard tension is mostly a matter of preference. If your guitar needs "a little help" when it comes to projection, hard tension strings may provide that. Some players believe that hard tension strings are typically more flattering for laminated guitars and/or artificial nails. Guitars with very low string action may need hard tension strings to avoid fret buzzing if high tension strings were the build standard used when setting up the guitar. More muscular players might also find that hard tension strings have a responsiveness that suits them better. Bear in mind that "normal" and "high" are relative designations within any one manufacturer's line and there maybe overlap between tension designations between different brands.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”