Hannabach tensions

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
celestemcc

Hannabach tensions

Post by celestemcc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Like Goldilocks, I guess, I'm looking for "just right" strings! I've been playing Hannabach 815 Silver Special Mediums and love them, but they buzz a wee bit on my well set-up, 640 scale guitar. I just (a few days ago) put on High Tension 815s but they feel a bit too hard -- and a bit more difficult to get a good vibrato.

It's been recommended I try the Silver 200 strings and I see they come in only Medium/Low and Medium/High tensions. Anyone try them -- would the MHT's be between the 815 Medium and Hard?

I love the sound of Hannabachs and so I'm more interested in experimenting within that brand right now than trying other strings (and I've tried *many*!!). I'm willing to just buy some and try, but wondered about others' experiences, at least those who play and like Hannabach strings.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Pede

Re: Hannabach tensions

Post by Pede » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:39 pm

I have tried several strings of Hannabach. I like the 200/900 most and I tend to choose the lower tensions.
The Custom made serie is for me not very different from the 815 and I am curious about Exclusive serie, I haven’t tried those.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 pm

I love Hannabach 200/900 med/low

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 pm

I love Hannabach 200/900 med/low
Have you tried the med/high? (Has anyone?) From the back of the package they seem to be in-between the 815 Mediums and Highs in terms of string tension... I'm about to try a set, but they're an expensive experiment.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:56 pm

I wanted to try out a set of high-tension strings on one of my guitars (I had some problems with buzzing using low-tension D'Addario Pro Arte strings). The only high-tension strings I had left were a set of Hannabach 815 Low Tension strings (you read right, they are high-tension compared to D'Addarios). They work fine and solved the problem, but they are nothing special. Next time I buy strings, I will buy higher-tension D'Addarios.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Knowing that Hannabach strings are higher tension broadly speaking, I tried the 815 low-tension strings myself, and found them way *too* soft for my guitar; but then it's a shorter scale. I actually like the 815 mediums but they can buzz a bit if I go fortissimo (eg, Brouwer estudios simplicios #1). The 815 highs I just put on don't buzz at all but are just that little bit harder to play -- subtle, but noticeable on more difficult pieces.

But, and it's just my taste -- I love the sound of the Hannabachs. In fact I had a set that I'd avoided putting on -- at that price I was almost afraid of liking them! But I tried them and was hooked, -- at least on this particular guitar.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 pm

I have found the high tension Hannabach Strings much too high tension for me. Having owned a shorter scale Connor I would suggest installing a High tension bass set and G string. I would use a medium tension b and e string. Either the 815 series or more expensive Exclusive series allow you to buy individual strings.
As you likely know, Steve likes Augustine Regals on his guitars. Just be aware that the Hannabach high tension strings are to my feel higher tension than the Regals.
I’m not a Luthier nor an expert, but a buzz with medium tension strings sounds like an issue with your set-up. Are you playing with low string height? I would get that checked.
Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

a buzz with medium tension strings sounds like an issue with your set-up
Thanks, Jack... set up's good, action's not too low: it's mostly that my right hand's getting stronger I think. Or I've gotta refine my approach... The buzz isn't a constant thing at all, just when I play much harder. Maybe I really don't need to; the guitar's got plenty of volume and even more though with the high-tension strings..I did ask him, and Steve told me high tension HBs are fine and to try the 200s, which he said he likes a lot as well. I'm getting medium/high for those.

I'll leave this set on a while yet but may experiment with individual string tensions, as you suggest. Wish the 815s came in medium/high!
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I know you are after Hannabach but from everything you have said I would still suggest you try Knobloch Double Silver with nylon trebles in their high tension. You might find the tension works and sonically they may be close enough for you.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am

celestemcc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm
... Wish the 815s came in medium/high!
Hannabach offers separate treble and bass sets!
So there is no problem to create your own tension combination.
I've done that some time ago, to find out which tension suits my guitar best and it worked very fine! :D

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm
I know you are after Hannabach but from everything you have said I would still suggest you try Knobloch Double Silver with nylon trebles in their high tension. You might find the tension works and sonically they may be close enough for you.
I agree with Peter. If you’ve not tried Knobloch I believe you will find them to be an excellent string choice. And their high tension trebles won’t feel as stiff as high tension Hannabach!
Hauser III 2014!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Knobloch Double Silver with nylon trebles in their high tension
Ok, that sounds worth a try! Ordering a set now in fact...!

Much thanks all!
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 am

For what it's worth I put on the set of Hannabach 200 Medium-High today. Different sound than the 815s but not quite sure why, though they do sound great. Warm and dark like the 815s and so far a just-right tension. They settled quickly into tune though it'll take the rest of this week for sure. Next I'll try the Knoblochs.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”