Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
TeeCat

Hav?

Postby TeeCat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Hav and all...

I noticed that the Hannabach Goldins are rated as medium/hard. Is it safe to use them on most classical guitars, and will there be a vastly increased left hand pressure required for them? I was wanting to try them.

TC

kys1

Postby kys1 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:31 pm

I find with low, or medium or normal tension strings (whatever the company happens to call em), you can be more expressive. A sweeter tone is produced, allows for more variation in colour and dynamics. On some guitars, harder tension strings will produce more volume, as they will force the top to vibrate harder. One wouldl think logically that this would apply to all guitars, however many luthiers do not recommend using high tension strings on their guitar, as the tension actually inhibits the top from vibrating fully, producing a dull sound, and one that may not be as loud (or more importantly, it may not project as well). Anywho, to sum up my opinion, my personal preference on my current instrument (Loriente Sofia- great guitar for the price imho) is medium (or low, or normal or whatever) tension strings.

Tiguidou

Postby Tiguidou » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:49 pm

I prefer medium tension mylsef because it's less hard for the guitar than a hight tension. The guitar woks less with a medium tension chord.

Thank You !

TimPut

Postby TimPut » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:21 am

Hard for me, I've tried a few mediums (no lights though) and always found the tone lacking compared to the same brand's hard tension strings.
I don't find the hard tension any more difficult to play, although that might be from my experience on steel stringed instruments.

Michael

Re: Hav?

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:22 pm

TeeCat wrote:Hav and all...

I noticed that the Hannabach Goldins are rated as medium/hard. Is it safe to use them on most classical guitars, and will there be a vastly increased left hand pressure required for them? I was wanting to try them.

TC

Most good classical guitars will have no problem with medium/hard tension strings.
One thing to remember is that if you prefer a high action, then it will be harder to press the strings down. However, on some high action guitars with low or normal tension strings, I have found the string can 'roll' from under my fingers - particularly the bass strings!
In any case, I don't think the difference in pressure is 'vast'.

I have a number of saddles which I can interchange. If I use high tension strings, I use a saddle with a lower action as HT strings will not buzz as much as lower tension strings. It makes playing easier.
Obviously, if I am using a lower tension string set, then I use a saddle with a higher action. The tone is often better with a higher action, so it depends what you want.
I am always experimenting. :roll:
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
(Frank Zappa)

mlfly

Postby mlfly » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I've only owned 3 classical guitars (one handmade and two "factory" made) and the recommendation on all three was for hard tension. I use normal tension anyway. I think extra hard would probably not be recommended for all guitars but normal and hard seem to fine for most.

I get a cleaner sound out of normal tension but this is on my list of things to re-evaluate after I've got 5 or 6 years under my belt.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:52 am

Paul Penney wrote:I prefer hard myself. They allow me to have more control over what im doing.

***my RH control is much better with the HT strings and the sound is so much nicer... it is almost enough to compensate for the fatigue and almost impossibility of playing certain pieces with the HT treble strings (basses not as much a problem so I use HT almost all the time with the basses).

Robm

Postby Robm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 am

Try different brands and tensions, and use what works for you and your guitar. If the tension is too light you don't get much back, comments ealrlier re: relative sound was spot on.

Pinsongs

Bow and Arrow Strength

Postby Pinsongs » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi Everyone:

I like the high tension, the extra work is well worth the improvement in tone and volume.

Classicalguitarman15

Postby Classicalguitarman15 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:08 pm

I prefer hard tension because of the clarity and projection, but it is completely dependent on the guitar.

paulleong

Postby paulleong » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Hello every body
I heard much about how wonderful is the high tention string but will high tention string be bad for the guitar in the following aspect.

1. the bridge of many spanish guitar may be "open up" after long time on high tention.
2. some guitar with thin front panel might change shape due to string pulling tention .ie no longer a flat piece of board.due to the internal bracing is insufficient. (especially on remerez guitar)

Muizz

hard

Postby Muizz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:23 pm

hard all the way

Corsair8268

Postby Corsair8268 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:04 am

Hard tension for me. Medium just feels "spongy" to me. Cant imagine what low would feel like.

CurbowPete

Postby CurbowPete » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:58 am

I've been using hard tension strings lately and have really enjoyed the playability so far.

-Pete

TedtheBear

Postby TedtheBear » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:58 am

paulleong wrote:Hello every body
I heard much about how wonderful is the high tention string but will high tention string be bad for the guitar in the following aspect.

1. the bridge of many spanish guitar may be "open up" after long time on high tention.
2. some guitar with thin front panel might change shape due to string pulling tention .ie no longer a flat piece of board.due to the internal bracing is insufficient. (especially on remerez guitar)

Check out stringsbymail
All the info you need!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”