Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nikolas

Post by nikolas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:05 am

Goran....next time you replace them...try the Savarez 520 R...they are a bit more expensive but on your guitar they will sound really good!

currykev

Post by currykev » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:02 am

I use hard tension; prefer the tone (brighter) to the others . I suggest you try some next time you need to renew.

Bach_lover

Post by Bach_lover » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:49 pm

I prefer medium tension string (D'Addario EJ45's) because they are noticeably easier to play and also a bit mellower than the hard tension. They also allow me to play longer without fatigue due to being easier to play.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:57 pm

I have been reading so much of the Strings and Nails threads as I find the subjects so diverse and interesting.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that playing high tension strings with no nails is best for me. My playing seems to be relatively error free and the extra bite of the high tension strings and no nails produces a sweeter sound. Certainly on my 'new' spruce topped guitar, which has a bit of aging to do.

But then... give me a couple of months or so and I shall probably contradict myself again and be trying low tensions again... :oops:

Oh! The dither of it all! :?
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
(Frank Zappa)

leemk996

strings

Post by leemk996 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:49 am

Hello,
I have tried all low, medium and high tension strings. My preference is for high tension strings as they sound brighter. I can also attack them more vigoroulsly and the tone is really pleasing. The low tension ones are too mellow for me and does not give the desired projection for my enjoyment.
The "La Bella" strings seem brighter than others.
:guitare:

John O

Post by John O » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:13 pm

My builder (Stenzel) recommeds medium tension, which I followed for a while, but lately I've been using high tension (various brands) with no problems. High tension seems a bit louder to me.

spiderjames

Post by spiderjames » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 am

High tension is definitely louder. I use normal tension which I guess is medium. That's for a modern guitar. My older ladder braced instruments I use low. I have an pre 1850 ERG that I am working on that will probably have to go even lower.

bruceyd

Post by bruceyd » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:53 am

i feel alot more confident playing with hard tension strings. i also like the crisper sound.

Harry Guitar

Hard vs. Medium --- the bout of the Century!

Post by Harry Guitar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:56 pm

I know someone must have said this, but scale length plays into the equation. My Greyhound bus Ramirez 1a sounds great with hard tension, but plays a lot easier and sounds not-too-shabby with mediums. My Hauser copy sounds like crap with mediums and sings with hard. The difference? 20mm in scale length. The bid bus can get away with the mediums because the string is longer and requires more tension to bring it up to concert pitch. The reverse is true of junior...

Harry

boguz

Re: Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Post by boguz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am

Would you say the "High-Tension" from one grand is comparable to the "High Tension" from another brand?
Is the "tension" something standard that goes across all brands, or each brand has it own?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 am

boguz wrote:Would you say the "High-Tension" from one grand is comparable to the "High Tension" from another brand?
Is the "tension" something standard that goes across all brands, or each brand has it own?
The designations are useful to grade the tension within one manufacturer's range. You cannot directly compare certain tensions (eg medium/normal) between different manufacturers. For example, Hannabach is noticeably higher tension than most, if not all the competition, for their strings.

If you have a particular make/model in mind you are best to ask about those and see how the forum members can help you.

boguz

Post by boguz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:39 am

petermc61 wrote:If you have a particular make/model in mind you are best to ask about those and see how the forum members can help you.
Thanks. That is useful information.
Hannabach High Tension are actually the strings i have used the most... ;)

I just started a new thread where i mention this. I am looking for new strings and wondering if i should try some "carbon strings". 8)

Aug308

Post by Aug308 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:40 am

Actually I have had my neck from a luthier made instrument come completely off the soundboard due to using a set of hard tension strings. My vote is for medium tension strings. As many have said it's up to the person playing and what their choice of a sound is.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 am

I have 4 classicals and I use both. I have D'Addario EJ 45 on my Ramirez George Harrison and 125an~os and Augustine classic red on my Ramirez 4NE. On my Kremona thin body I use Savarez 520J extra hard tension. And on the Rodriguez Flamenco that I just gave my daughter for her birthday, I used Labella 2001 Flamenco strings that are hard tension. It takes some experimentation to find what strings best suit each individual guitar. Just be careful and make sure that, if using super high tension strings, that they fit in the nut slots without binding. On the Rodriguez CF3, the high E kept snapping at the nut and the b string had a notch in it where it was partially cut by binding in the slot.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:09 am

Oh, and I used to use low tension on my George Harrison, but gave them up due to the medium tension strings sounding better.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”