Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Postby joachim33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm

boguz wrote:Would you say the "High-Tension" from one grand is comparable to the "High Tension" from another brand?
Is the "tension" something standard that goes across all brands, or each brand has it own?

Each brand has it's own. Hannabach 815 medium tension have a total set tension of 41.8 kg. In their standard Pro Arte range D'Addario doesn't do anything as high. Their "extra hard" EJ44 come in at 41.6kg (ok, this difference is negligible :wink: ). So if your guitar can stand Hannabach medium, it can stand D'Addario extra hard.

It is a real shame that many brands do not state their tension in an easily accessible form on the website.

boguz

Re: Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Postby boguz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 am

You are right.
At the time i tried the Hannabach because my teacher said they were good. I liked them, so i kept using them.

But now that i am in the mood for trying new strings i am finding it hard to believe that there isn't a "standardized" tension scale between the different brands. I think that would be quite useful!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”