String tension vs. tuning

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
dwpc

String tension vs. tuning

Post by dwpc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi, I'm a new member. I've used Hannabach Silver 200 mid-hi tension strings for years but have recently been learning some pieces in D-tuning and have wondered if switching to low tension strings would be better or worse for frequent retunings. Would buzz be a problem in D-tuning? I've also wondered if the low tension would affect use of harmonics.
2001 Model 1B from Casa Parramon, Barcelona; set up by Rubio in Los Angeles. Also a Guild flat top and Alvarez baritone.

George Crocket

Re: String tension vs. tuning

Post by George Crocket » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi dwpc. Welcome to the forum. We have this subforum dedicated to the discussion of strings, so your post has been moved here. Whilst you await responses from our wise members, please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I use Hannabach 815s and have used medium, low, and recently high tensions in that line. I don't find that the string tension has made a difference re low-D tuning (I also have a number of pieces using it currently). For me it's the age of the strings that matter: newer strings seem to want to go back to E faster, at least in my experience. For the record though I've just ordered some 200 medium-highs, I'll let you know how it goes!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am

It's always nice to have a little extra tension to start with when tuning down to D. They don't feel so floppy and are less prone to buzz. However, if your action is set up 4/3 mm, you probably don't have too much to worry about.

I used to play low tension, but when I dropped down to D, the string felt mushy and buzzed. But I had fairly low action to start, and a change to medium tension fixed the problem as the neck relief increased.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 am

celestemcc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm
I use Hannabach 815s and have used medium, low, and recently high tensions in that line. I don't find that the string tension has made a difference re low-D tuning (I also have a number of pieces using it currently). For me it's the age of the strings that matter: newer strings seem to want to go back to E faster, at least in my experience. For the record though I've just ordered some 200 medium-highs, I'll let you know how it goes!
Just out of interest - what do you call new? After what time (play time, time under tension) are your strings no longer new?

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 pm

what do you call new? After what time (play time, time under tension) are your strings no longer new?
By new, I mean about up to a week old or so, playing a couple of hours a day.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 am

celestemcc wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 pm

By new, I mean about up to a week old or so, playing a couple of hours a day.
Thanks, that is roughly the same as what I regard as a settling in period for a string set.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi, I use a 815 HT for the drop D and even the 815 SHT fora drop C (in chamber music) with lower tension 5th, 4 th...).

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”