String Question

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
PeteJ

String Question

Post by PeteJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 am

I just changed strings on my new-ish Ovation semi for the first time and find the new strings (Aranjuez EJ45)to be much thinner than the originals and they don't suit the guitar so well. I don't know what the originals were but they were a noticeably heavier gauge than the EJ45s.

I wondered if folks here had any suggestions for strings this guitar, or strings I might try that are noticeably heavier gauge and higher tension.

petermc61

Re: String Question

Post by petermc61 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Pete

They might be Aranjuez, or they might be D’Addario (if indeed they are EJ45). They certainly can’t be Aranjuez EJ45 as they don’t exist! Suggest you check and confirm what is fitted.

Peter

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 am

Have you considered contacting Ovation and asking them which strings they ship with their guitars? I know for their steel string guitars they have their own branded strings but I'm not sure about their classical guitars. I'm sure they'd be quite responsive.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Peter - Oh yes - I meant D'addario.

Paul - Good idea about contacting Ovation. But the guitar is second-hand and the previous strings will not have fitted by Ovation. Also I'm interested in trying some thicker heavier-grade strings on my CG, so wondered about recomendations.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Given that you've tried D'Addario EJ45's you could always try EJ46's (Hard Tension) and EJ44's (Extra Hard).

The highest tension strings I ever tried were Hannabach - I can't remember which ones but they were considerably higher in tension than D'Addario EJ46's. I personally don't like high tension strings (I tried the Hannabach strings on the recommendation of a luthier friend of mine but didn't like them at all). But you might find something that works for you amongst their range. Others might be able to give you further guidance as to which Hannabach strings to try.

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:56 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm
Peter - Oh yes - I meant D'addario.

Paul - Good idea about contacting Ovation. But the guitar is second-hand and the previous strings will not have fitted by Ovation. Also I'm interested in trying some thicker heavier-grade strings on my CG, so wondered about recomendations.
While the strings you replaced may not be the originals or at least the original make and model, what the company uses could be a good starting point.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am

Higher tension strings would probably be the way to go but it's not the tension that is is the issue for me here but the thickness of the strings. I expect the two are closely connected but maybe not entirely. If higher tension is the same as higher gauge then I'll try higher tension, but not for the sake of the tension. I'll also check with Ovation as suggested.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”