What strings for this flamenco guitar?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
SteveL123

What strings for this flamenco guitar?

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

I've had this 61 Conde Hermanos for many years. It has numerous cracks on the top: One in the middle from sound hole to the bottom, one from treble side of tie block to the bottom, cracks on both sides of the top where it joins the neck. The bridge also has some glue separation in the middle bottom at the tie block. Other than that, the rest of the guitar is structurally sound... neck is straight, no cracks on the Cypress back and sides, internal braces has no separation other than the one at the middle crack. I intend to, at some point, remove the bridge, repair all cracks and re-attach bridge.

It currently has new old stock 25 year old Augustine black label strings. I want to put new strings on it after the repairs. I will be playing classical, not flamenco. What do you recommend for strings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UPGuitar

Re: What strings for this flamenco guitar?

Post by UPGuitar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm personally a fan of d'addario exp45's on my flamencos.
but there are a lot of options out there!
-Masaki Sakurai concert sp/in
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-F.Sheppard French Romantic era replica sp/mpl
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in
-S.Ganz "Brujo" 8-string sp/brz
-J.Sigurdson peghead flamenco sp/ayc
-S.Castillo peghead flamenco sp/cy

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I would try medium tension Ramirez with carbon G. I've strung them on many different guitars, low to high budget, and they all sounded good with them. Knobloch would be good too.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm

EXP 45's a good choice...they last a touch longer and not too expensive.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 pm

The D'Addario exp 45 sounds interesting:
"D'Addario EXP45 Coated Normal Tension Classical Guitar Strings, Full Set
This set features clear, Pro-Arte nylon treble strings sorted by a computer-controlled laser machine which performs diameter/tension measurements and quality checks, insuring true sounding, precise trebles. The basses are silverplated copper wound on a Zyex(R) multi-filament stranded core basses which have been bonded with an ultra-fine layer of EXP Coating. The result is a built-in barrier against the corrosion and wear that can quickly sap the life out of your strings and your sound. EXP coated silverplated copper classical strings have a natural round wound feel and sound fresh and bright with a "new string tone" that lasts three to four times longer than traditional guitar strings"

Currently I have these full string sets in their package:

Savarez 510 MR standard tension
Dogal Diamante NR127A soft
Dogal Diamante NR127C strong
Augustine imperial red medium
D'Addario Pro Arte nylon core EJ46

How would the exp45 compare to these? I'll order some next time from Stringsbymail

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”