Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
JezzaKool

Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Post by JezzaKool » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:37 pm

I’m looking for advice on best strings for my guitar. I would class myself as a beginner, although have been playing for five years! I currently use Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540J High Tension and find string 1 to be rather harsh and unmusical, otherwise a lovely sounding set of strings. Any suggestions please on strings that might improve the sound of my guitar, particularly the high E string.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 am

If you are looking to just get the high E calmed down a bit, try a Knobloch nylon in hard tension. I really like the Ramirez HT Nylon set with, or without, the Carbon G. Every guitar I have used these strings on sounded great, from a $180.00 Lucero, to mid priced models like the many Cordobas I've had, all the way to the three Ramirez I've owned. I think the Ramirez brand high E sounds best, but you can't find just a single string in that brand. You have to buy the whole set. You also might want to try a Hannabach 815 nylon High E.

If you like the sound of carbon, but want it toned down a bit, Dogal Diamanté trebles are quite good. Be sure to order the strong or extra strong tension (they are the same). The Dogal Diamanté are carbon/nylon hybrids. The g string sounds pretty much like nylon, without the tubby sound.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 am

When I played my Burguet 3M I found it performed well with a wide variety of strings, unlike my Ana Espinosa. That only performs well with carbon strings but Savarez Alliance give a rather harsh sound on the first string. At present I am trying Oasis Claro which are carbon but with a nylon first string. I had to buy them from SBM but their service was excellent. I have only just fitted them but will let you know how they sound after a few days.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Many thanks Laudiesdad69 and DerekB. It’s reassuring to know I’m not alone in finding the high E can be rather strident. So, quite a few recommendations to try! Which one do I go for first? I’m tempted to try the Ramirez but they seem to be out of stock with most UK suppliers currently, so I will wait for you to feed back on your findings on the Oasis Claro carbon plus nylon E set, Derek. Thanks again.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:11 pm

The Oasis Claro have had a chance to settle in on my Ana Espinosa. Last week I got my teacher to play it for me so I could hear the true sound and fell in love with it all over again. He commented on the beautiful sound from the third string. The top E is not at all harsh although the sustain is not as good as with Alliance. The bass strings are a little weak. I should say worth a try on the Burguet but you will have to order them from the US as no-one seems to sell them in the UK. They should be no dearer than a decent set of strings in the UK even allowing for the extra postage.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 am

Many thanks for your feedback Derek. Oasis Claro sounds promising. I have just ordered some Ramirez HT Nylon strings but will order a set of Claro to try next.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”