Hybridizing Sets

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Michael Propsom
Luthier

Hybridizing Sets

Post by Michael Propsom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm hoping both players and builders can give me some feedback on this issue. I just finished a hybrid nylon string guitar (most folks call them "crossovers"), and experienced a slight problem that hasn't happened in the few traditional classics that I've built. This hybrid has a shallow OM body EIR with a "chocolate" WRC top and a florentine cutaway--but with a standard 7 strut fan Hauser pattern. I strung it with Augustine Medium tension strings. I was happy with the guitar's overall response except for the G string. It felt a bit floppy and sounded slightly tubby, so I switched out the G for a D'Addario Pro Arte High Tension G. The improvement was dramatic. Has anyone else experienced a quieter or "tubby G" and solved the problem by going to a higher tension string?
Thanks in advance.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Hybridizing Sets

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 pm

I’ve done that, but a better way seems to be replacing the G string with a thinner diameter carbon string. I’ve been using the Ramirez strings with carbon G.

Carey

Post by Carey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:54 am

Michael Propsom wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm
I'm hoping both players and builders can give me some feedback on this issue. I just finished a hybrid nylon string guitar (most folks call them "crossovers"), and experienced a slight problem that hasn't happened in the few traditional classics that I've built. This hybrid has a shallow OM body EIR with a "chocolate" WRC top and a florentine cutaway--but with a standard 7 strut fan Hauser pattern. I strung it with Augustine Medium tension strings. I was happy with the guitar's overall response except for the G string. It felt a bit floppy and sounded slightly tubby, so I switched out the G for a D'Addario Pro Arte High Tension G. The improvement was dramatic. Has anyone else experienced a quieter or "tubby G" and solved the problem by going to a higher tension string?
Thanks in advance.
That's good that going to a different nylon g solved your issue, but assuming you stick with nylon, higher tension per se seldom helps.
I too usually use a carbon third string, either a Knobloch Actives medium, or Hannabach medium-high. On the right guitar though,
and assuming you don't tune down to F#, a J45 complete set can be very good.

Michael Propsom
Luthier

Post by Michael Propsom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 am

Thanks to both of you. As I had already slotted the nut for a .041 diameter 3rd string, I didn't consider a smaller, carbon string. As I have another nylon "OM" planned for next year, I just might go with a carbon 3rd with that one in the first place.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”