When do YOU decide it's time to change strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Adrian Allan

Re: When do YOU decide it's time to change strings?

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

astro64 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 pm
Can anybody answer the question I hinted at a few posts back?

Do carbon treble strings really wear out - and if they do, do they become less bright in tone?

I'm not really convinced there is much to wear out.
I have never seen them lose intonation or lose brightness. They may get rough on the 1st string, but e.g. a 3rd string carbon on one of my guitars has been on it for years and still sounds fine and intonation is still spot on.
Thank you - that is what I suspected, and reinforces my view that they should be sold in packs of 6:3 basses to trebles, or even a higher ratio for the basses.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm

astro64 wrote:
Adrian Allan wrote:

Do carbon treble strings really wear out - and if they do, do they become less bright in tone?

I have never seen them lose intonation or lose brightness. They may get rough on the 1st string, but e.g. a 3rd string carbon on one of my guitars has been on it for years and still sounds fine and intonation is still spot on.
Astro, How often do you change your bass strings? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:

In my experience, both nylon and carbon mellow out and sound better after a week of playing. In time, treble strings, especially the high E string becomes shrill, thin and scratchy sounding. New trebles once broken in will have a bit more fullness and body to them.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm

When one breaks :lol:

Pje53

Post by Pje53 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 pm

I change my strings when they lose their crisp tone and start to sound a bit muffled.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 pm
"For me, I change them not long after the guitar stays in tune perfectly,in a stand, overnight. " Laudiesdad69

Laudie,
This may not always be a good litmus test since temperature and humidity variations will quickly change the tension on the strings. If you trust this approach, try leaving it in your humidified guitar case overnight where condtions will be somewhat more stable. But remember, always trust your ears! I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Thanks, I will take that into consideration. My case for my Ramirez is a Humicase protege, and it keeps the humidity right about 45 to 50%. The solution for the humidifiers will pull moisture out of the case air if the humidity gets too high. But my humidity in the room is usually between 40 to 50%. So not a whole lot of fluctuation.

By the time that my guitar will stay in tune over night, there usually isn't any noticeable change in the sound that I can detect. Sometimes though the trebles seem to sound dull, and then it's time to change them for sure. And I usually feel like the treble strings start feeling a little more taut. They don't have the pliability that they did after the strings were new and just settled.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm
astro64 wrote:
Adrian Allan wrote:

Astro, How often do you change your bass strings? Playing again . . . Rognvald
Sorry I only saw this question now. On the guitar I play most frequently once every two months. But note that I don't play hours a day, probably I average one hour per day. I seem not to corrode strings easily, so they slowly get less bright and start showing some fret wear. The guitar also seems to make a difference, in that a guitar that has good bass definition to begin with and character in the sound keeps that character for longer and still sounds good with older basses.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 am

Astro64,
Thanks for the feedback! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

mando48

Post by mando48 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 am

When they start sounding dull

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 am

I change my strings when I start to wear out the windings on the bass strings. Usually, they will get indentations in them where I fret and the windings start to separate from the string. If I don't change them I can sharp little points sticking out where the windings split. On the guitars I play frequently, this usually takes 2-3 months. On some guitars, I have strings on them for like 6 months.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm

I also change them when, like today, I have a new set of strings that I haven’t tried before. Today it’s bargain strings. Earnie Ball Clear Nylon - $4.33 a set from FleaBay.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”