Wyres Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Wyres Strings

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello,
I have received a few different sets of Wyres Strings from Canada for testing from a luthier friend, and put a Extra Hard Tension Signature set onto my Sascha Nowak, a guitar that takes high tension strings very well.
Here are my findings after havnig them 3 days on the guitar (they may need some more time to really settle; I'll update)
  • they are not as hard as I would expect from the denomination (put an extra hard Hannabach set on and you know what I mean
  • they remind me very much of Daniel Mari strings: I'd guess trebles are basically the same and also basses are unusually tightly wound, like Daniel Mari basses
  • I love the trebles, as much as I love the Daniel Mari trebles . they are the best sounding nylon trebles I know of (in my ears)
  • Quite similar to my experience, the basses, especially the E-6, seem not very alive, though full-bodied, but lacking higher harmonics (and this certainly is not an issue with the guitar which has very alive bass - also this reminds me of my experience with Daniel Mari bass strings, especially the E-6
The last point might work out well on guitars with a little too pointed bass. All in all the set seems to emphasize the roundness and take away a bit of the sparkling quality of this guitar. The playing feeling is very nice and vibrato translates exceptionally well despite the extra hard tension denomination. They are certainly a kind of 'relatives' of Daniel Mari strings in their over all quality. I'm curious about their durability and I'll keep you posted about that...

To summarize my subjective perception: This is a well balanced and very well playable set of strings of not so extreme tension of a rather dark and round sound character with a slight lack of contour in the lowest bass

I can't find this specific set on the Wyres homepage, so I have no idea what they cost.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Laudiesdad69

Re: Wyres Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

I just tried to order from their website and they are telling me that my email address is invalid. I was going to try the Hauser set, as their other ones seem to be 80/20 bronze and I have never met a set of bronze basses that I liked. The Hauser set is about $18.00. Not exactly cheap, nor very expensive. I will see about giving them a call sometime this week or emailing them, to see if I can get a set.

rojarosguitar

Re: Wyres Strings

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm not sure how well this website is serviced, because they even don't mention what is probably their most expensive set (that signature set I was talking about...).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”