Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

I was looking around on e - b a y at the budget strings and found Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon strings for $4.33 a set in a three pack. This was the same price per set as ordering 12 sets from another seller Bay seller.

Has anybody tried These? The price was a dollar a set cheaper than strings by mail. So I ordered. I figured that since these three sets were cheaper than one set of Savarez 520R at my local music store, I would give them a try.

I've got to say that out of the dozen or so different brands and sets that I have tried on my Ramirez 4NE, that only 3 sets that I tried were keepers, meaning that I would use these sets again (EJ45, Ramirez medium tension with Carbon G, and Savarez Cantiga basses/Dogal Diamante trebles). And, it's not that any of the other sets I tried were bad, it's just that these three sets sounded really good on that particular guitar.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the price of a given set of strings and the beauty that they bring to one's ears, so I am hopeful that these will sound good...I just have to wait and see.

es335

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by es335 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm

They are ok strings which means intonation is ok and they do sound somehow. Anyway better than Alice strings for instance. Knowing your other preferences these strings will most probably be underwhelming rather than exciting. Their best feature is IMHO that the trebles‘ ball ends are reusable. BTW this was the main motivation to try them. :wink:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 am

I didn't think I ordered the ball end strings. I hope not. I am just looking for cheap sets to use just to see if there is anything else out there. I was really surprised that the D'Addario EJ45 sounded as good as they did on my Ramirez. They are usually just so so on the other guitars I've used them on. Also good to have some cheap strings I can use on a cheap guitar that I buy to flip.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I put the Earnie Ball Ernesto Palla Clear and Silver medium tension strings on the camper, my $200 Lucero today, and wow do these strings settle fast. The basses have stayed in tune after a couple of hours and the trebles only require a little tweaking after about 15-20 minutes of play.

The G is a little tubby, but we shall see if that goes away after the strings have been on a few days. The sound? About like D’Addario EJ45 on the trebles as far as volume. Overall a clear, and uncolored tone. The basses seem a little stronger, and deeper. Sustain is good. Notes seem to take longer to decay compared to the EJ45. Pleasant sounding. The trebles feel a little firmer than EJ45.

I will buy these again. They are $4.33 a set when you buy 3 on FleaBay. I would suggest these to anybody that is stuck on EJ45’s. You can get 4 sets of these for the price of one set of Ramirez. And yes the Ramirez sound better, but they are $20 a set. These are definitely better than D’Adds.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”