Giannini Classico Super Extra Heavy Tension CG strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Giannini Classico Super Extra Heavy Tension CG strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:58 pm

I bought a couple of sets of these strings to try on my wife’s short little 3/4 size guitar. They are bronze wrapped I guess. So far I haven’t had much experience with bronze, but the couple of times I’ve played a guitar with bronze strings, they sounded dull. However, some of you all seem to be ok with them. The package says they are 35/65, what ever that means and they are silver plated.

Anybody here use these? What did you like, or hate about them. I bought them because of the tension statement “ Super Extra Heavy “. However there was no info for the lbs of tension. I bought them for $5.00. I figured what the hell, for 5 bucks I’d try ‘em.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Giannini Classico Super Extra Heavy Tension CG strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Well, there was enough tension in this set to put a little, tiny bit of relief in the neck on my wife's guitar. However, the sound is less than spectacular. Although these strings are new, they sound as if they need to be changed. The basses sound rather dull. They are brand new strings that sound like they've been on the guitar for months, not a week.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello Laudiesdad69,
Appears to me that that "little, tiny bit of relief in the neck" is due to an overstressed neck which might lead to some serious structural damage. Also, it has been my experience that over-tense strings that do not match the requirements of the top tend to choke the top and sound DOA.
Just my two cents,
Otirroz

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Yeah I think these strings are a bust. I used the heaviest tension I could find as its a 24 inch scale (610mm). They still don't feel like medium tension on my 650. The strings are still kind of like noodles. Sustain is good though with these strings. They just sound like the other couple of bronze sets I tried. Dull.

I will go back to the D'Addario EJ46FF. The neck was still perfectly straight with those, but the sound was way better. That set comes in at 103lbs on a 648mm scale, so a lot less on a 610mm. As soon as my electric winder gets here, I will put those back on...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”