String recommendation for 3/4 size classical guitar

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
too

String recommendation for 3/4 size classical guitar

Post by too » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Due to chronical hand / finger pain I switched to a 3/4 Cordoba Cadete guitar some weeks ago. The original Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ did not stay in tune for weeks and even corroded rather fast. Thus, I decided to give Savarez RC high tension a try which I used to use on 4/4 guitars many years ago. These strings stay in tune very nice but the sound is not as convincing as it could be. Especially the G string sounds liveless and dull with only very short sustain and mostly lacking overtones. The tension and playability is okay for my habits, though.

Can anybody recommend strings for 3/4 classical guitars out of experience?

Thanks for any helpful hint,
too
< = > less is more

nmshu1

Re: String recommendation for 3/4 size classical guitar

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 pm

D'Addario EJ46 is good at short scale guitars...maybe Savarez 540R good at them too.
2014 Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
2015 Juan Hernandez Torres 640, Spruce/Indian Rosewood
2016 German V. Rubio Concert 635, Spruce/Flamed Maple
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 630, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/Flamed Maple

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 am

I have been using D’Addario EJ46 on my wife’s 3/4 Yammy. I am usually the one who plays it, but occasionally she will play it. The G string seems to be a little dull though. I liked the D’Addario EJ46FF on it better, and will probably put those on sooner or later again.

I ordered 2 sets of Giannini Super Extra Heavy tension nylon strings just to try on it. Will let you know how they turn out after I put them on. They should be here in the next few days.

too

Post by too » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you for your recommendations. I have been using the D'Addario EJ46 for years on my 1980s Takamine (4/4) and am quite satisfied with them. On the new 3/4 Cordoba the G string is paricular dull with short sustain an little overtones.

As the G string often is the weakest sounding string, I would appreciate someone's recommendation for a single string.

Thanks,
too
< = > less is more

RockyWestTexas

Post by RockyWestTexas » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm

I have a form of arthritis in my hands that deforms the finger joints and causes pain. I play guitars with scale lengths of 615 mm, 600 mm, and more recently 589 mm.

My choice of strings varies with the season. During Spring, Summer, and early Fall, I play with mostly normal tension strings, e.g., D’Addario EJ45, Alice A108, A130, or A 139 (titanium). During the Winter when the air is colder, I play with low tension D’Addario EJ43. The low tension strings are easier on arthritic fingers in both left and right hands.

On short-scale guitars, I notice that the strings sound really terrible at first. But after they stretch, they sound normal. So I manually stretch the new strings immediately after installing them. Then, I can get 1-2 weeks of great performance before the strings lose their tonal quality. When I don’t care about tonal quality or scratchy sound, I can leave the strings on for 2 months.

Rocky

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:03 pm

too wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 am
Thank you for your recommendations. I have been using the D'Addario EJ46 for years on my 1980s Takamine (4/4) and am quite satisfied with them. On the new 3/4 Cordoba the G string is paricular dull with short sustain an little overtones.

As the G string often is the weakest sounding string, I would appreciate someone's recommendation for a single string.

Thanks,
too
For a single string for the G, I would say try a Savarez Alliance or a Dogal Diamante. Both are available as singles from Strings by mail. I prefer the Dogal. It is a carbon/nylon hybrid. Sounds more like nylon, but is a little brighter and not tubby like the nylon strings usually are. Alliance is brighter still.

too

Post by too » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Sorrily, I have no access to Strings by Mail as I live in Germany. Nevertheless I found a dealer here who offers full sets of Dogal strings. They are available in 4 tensions with strong and extra strong tension among.

Would you recommend the strongs or rather the extra strongs for a 3/4 classical guitar? I tend to believe the extra strong might suit my needs better ... but I'm unsure. I don't want to buy 2 full sets when I only need 1 (or 2) single string(s).
< = > less is more

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

too wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 pm
Sorrily, I have no access to Strings by Mail as I live in Germany. Nevertheless I found a dealer here who offers full sets of Dogal strings. They are available in 4 tensions with strong and extra strong tension among.

Would you recommend the strongs or rather the extra strongs for a 3/4 classical guitar? I tend to believe the extra strong might suit my needs better ... but I'm unsure. I don't want to buy 2 full sets when I only need 1 (or 2) single string(s).
Strong or extra strong it doesn’t matter as the strings are the same diameters. They are the same for the trebles, not for the basses though. If you have to buy the whole set, I would choose extra strong and just try the whole set. Strings by mail can sell you singles and they ship world wide. But by the time you get it shipped it may be cheaper to order any other strings that you might need from them as well. Our resident string guru Petermc61 gets them shipped to Austrailia. Hope that helps. Also, these strings are a little slicker feeling that straight nylon. You might want to do an extra wrap around the tie block when you secure them, so they don’t slip.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Oh, and the Giannini strings I mentioned previously are a bust. Rather dull sounding, especially the basses. I wouldn’t bother with them if I had it to do over again. Oh, well...I had to try.

too

Post by too » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Your additional information is truely appreciated - thank you.

Just for the record: My guitar dealer recently gave me a set of "Savarez 520R" for free and I put them on. I know these strings for decades but haven't played them almost as long in favor of "Pro Arte" sets. Interestingly these cheap "Savarez 520R" strings stay in tune very fast on my 3/4 Cordoba, much faster than any other strings I used so far. Over a couple of days and nights all the strings stretched a bit, of course.

The good thing is, that both the bass strings and the treble strings lowered their pitches almost equally to about 30 ct, staying rather well tuned within.
< = > less is more

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Hey too, I just ordered another set of D'Addario EJ46FF for the 3/4 Yamaha.. these strings sound the best so far on that Particular guitar as it is kind of bass heavy as far as sound and the carbon trebles, being a little brighter, contrast well with the basses. I am actually thinking about getting another Cordoba Cadet, as it was more playable and sounded better than the Yamaha. I sold it to finance my daughter's Ramirez full size 2E, which I found used. You might want to try the EJ46FF as they are a little heavier tension than the regular EJ46. The G string sounded especially good. And they are rather inexpensive.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”