Savarez 520 B

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Savarez 520 B

Post by Leo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 am

I had not played the Savarez 520 B (low tension) for a long time, and I must say that I am very impressed. The bass strings are very rich and powerful and the trebles are also very rich and sweet. They are rectified trebles so they have some string noise, but not enough to make me not like the set. I have tried La Bella rectified in the past, but the high e string seemed to have an odd dull sound that did not match the set.

I am very happy with these strings, but does anyone know what type of Savarez bass strings are used in this set?

Laudiesdad69

Re: Savarez 520 B

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

The basses are their Traditional 520B bass strings. I used the 520B set quite a lot on my old Ramirez George Harrison. After the strings have settled, check the neck relief. On my guitar the neck would get completely flat, and I mean no relief at all, seasonally and would buzz. I wound up putting on D'Addario EJ45 med tension that were only about three pounds heavier in tension than the Savarez. After the season changed, the low tension Savarez went back on it.

The Ej45 was 86.1 lbs tension, and the 520B was. 83.37 lbs. The difference was just enough to put some relief in the neck, and the buzzing stopped. Putting the EJ45 set on raised my action 1/64th on my Ramirez. I'm still using the Savarez on my daughter's Ramirez 2NE. She likes the feel of the rectified trebles.

joachim33

Re: Savarez 520 B

Post by joachim33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Low tension strings have a larger mechanical amplitude which also makes them buzz more easily. There are higher tension versions of it, including the famous Savarez 520R (red card).

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”