Royal Classic recital strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: Royal Classic recital strings

Post by joachim33 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 am

Professional players can not afford to sound rubbish. If they use the strings they pretend to use and sound as good as they do, then it is ok. You can hear at their concerts, on their CDs or YouTubes what they manage to achieve with these strings. Even if they get paid to use them, I am convinced they would look for another sponsor, if they thought their sponsor‘s strings are substandard. A wrecked reputation due to poor sound caused by bad strings is the last thing they can afford.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm
Does anybody have tension data in Kg or lbs for this set? I am geeking out, I know😩
I couldn't find any tensions but when I checked I found that the trebles diameters are very similar indeed to D'Addario EJ44 Extra Hard Tension - so as they both sets are nylon, assuming they have a similar mass per unit length they probably have similar tensions, i.e.E 17.41lb/7.9kg, B 12.88lb/5,84kg, G 12.66lb/5,74kg. (Can't say about the basses.)
Last edited by JohnB on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am

I'll call SBM on Monday and see if they have any info. If they are more than 87lbs I probably won't try them. I might see if Gohar knows, if I can find an email contact for her on her website.

zagatov12

Post by zagatov12 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm wondering if Dave Stott or anyone has actually tried the RC Recitals strings by now and what their impressions were by comparison with their regular choices?

Mike

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 pm

The USPS delivered my order yesterday. It'll be a week or so before I can give the RC Recital strings a chance.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 am
Professional players can not afford to sound rubbish. If they use the strings they pretend to use and sound as good as they do, then it is ok. You can hear at their concerts, on their CDs or YouTubes what they manage to achieve with these strings. Even if they get paid to use them, I am convinced they would look for another sponsor, if they thought their sponsor‘s strings are substandard. A wrecked reputation due to poor sound caused by bad strings is the last thing they can afford.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. If they really do use the endorsed product, it doesn't really matter to me. I really like Gohar's playing. Strings are only part of the equation when it comes to the actual tone produced. I will never sound like her because I don't have her hands.

So, I don't think that any body that uses these strings thinks their actually going to sound like her just by using these strings. I suppose it helps that she has a Mun ebony guitar too.

APK

Post by APK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:45 pm
I have not tried the Recital set (medium tension) but have used the Sonata (medium/high set) quite a bit. The specifications for the treble strings in both sets looks the same so maybe it’s the same nylon trebles in both. If that’s the case the trebles are indeed very good. Full and sweet.
Hi Peter,

I hope that you don't mind my posing a question about a post of yours from nearly a month ago. Here's the question: how would you compare the RC Sonata strings to the Ramirez medium tension strings (with the carbon g)? I like the Ramirez very much – thank you for the recommendation! – but it seems that, given the description of the Sonata (and the Recitals), they are also worth considering.

Thanks,
A

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Re artist sponsorship/endorsement of things like strings, I think its quite a varied situation depending on the player and the company. It can happen that a player is at a trade show, festival etc, and happens to mention that they are fond of a particular brand of thing, and the makers take them on from that point of view. Given that at least some of the time, the incentive consists only of free stuff and publicity, I doubt a player would want to endorse strings that they felt they weren't going to actually use. They could of course sell them on or give them away, but it reduces the incentive.

Luthiers have at times mentioned to me that makers of strings sometime send them samples, but whether any get completely free long term supplies I wouldn't know. Certainly, the volume guitar makers would be able to pull a very good deal with the string brand of their choice, given that they often have the string make label hanging on the headstock, and many players just keep the same brand on because its what they know.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I looked over my string notes and saw that I'd tried RC Recitals once in 2016 and then again after Gohar's video to re-evaluate them. I made a lot of positive comments about their tonality, which I felt was kind of on the dry/airy side. I liked the 4D string. Other than that, it seemed like my gripe with them had to do with pitch stability. I had a hard time keeping them in tune, even a while after they should have broken in. I've noticed that some trebles are more temperature sensitive than others though. I also have a hard time tolerating bad intonation, which seems to vary also from pack to pack, so maybe I misjudged them.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm
Does anybody have tension data in Kg or lbs for this set? I am geeking out, I know😩
I don't, but I'm curious as well. D'addario ej45's are as hard a tension as I like to go. I rarely use them, but everything else that I use is about the same, tension-wise, or less. If the Royal classics are harder tension than this, I'll also reluctantly pass.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 am

I know what you mean. I had my Ramirez 4NE set up with Ramirez med tension with the carbon G. They have a tension of just over 87 lbs. The D’Addario EJ45 are at around 86 lbs of tension. And so are my current set of Hannabach Exclusive med tension basses with Dogal Diamanté strong trebles. So really I can use any set from 85 to 89 lbs with minimal difference in action.

Strings by Mail is going to be testing all of the classical strings they sell, on a 650mm scale. They say they are going to be doing this throughout 2018 So tension data will be coming. I can wait.

zagatov12

Post by zagatov12 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am

Hi All,

I know I've already asked this earlier but maybe Dave Stott can chime in with his experience of the Royals?

Mike

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 pm

On the endorsement thing: I noticed that Savarez claims Lily Afshar uses New Cristal Classic Mixed Tension 540 CRJ while Augustine claims she is using their Classic Red strings. On her Website she has links to both companies.

Not sure what to make from this.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Okay, I've had the RC Recitals on my Cordoba GK Pro for about 2 weeks now.

They seemed to take longer to settle down for tuning. I'm not sure if it's because of the low humidity in the house as a result of the recent cold spell here in New England. Even though I have 2 humidifiers running in the house, the house humidity is right around 30%... Guitar are stored safely in cases with humidifiers when not played.

Tone wise, I still prefer the Savarez Cantiga Basses. But the Recital Trebles may have become my new treble favorites. I'm really liking the tone and there's something about the texture of them that my right hand likes. It's not a coarse texture, but there's a nice feeling of "grip" when I go to dig in on notes.

My Cordoba Solista is due for new strings in a week or so. It's be interesting to see how the Recitals sound on the cedar topped guitar. I'll update when it happens..

Dave
zagatov12 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am
Hi All,

I know I've already asked this earlier but maybe Dave Stott can chime in with his experience of the Royals?

Mike
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 am

What tension did you try Dave?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”