strings used by old masters, Barrios era

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
emeraldvalley

strings used by old masters, Barrios era

Post by emeraldvalley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I am curious what kind of string Barrios used, I heard some of original remastered recordings and it almost sounds like metal string at times, with the resonance. Were the old gut strings before nylon short lived in terms of having to change them? i have been using a Hannabach low action wound 3rd which makes the sound much richer for me, also using low action for rest of strings, which being older its easier on my hands.
Are any of the hybrid new strings worth considering . I find that i often dont dont the bass strings to be as loud if possible, espeically with peices such as Recuerdos de Alhambra .

pogmoor

Re: strings used by old masters, Barrios era

Post by pogmoor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 am

There is a thread here on the topic of Barrios's strings: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=60877.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

MessyTendon

Re: strings used by old masters, Barrios era

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 am

Recording artifacts and recording adjustments could have something to do with the recordings and the way they sound.

Standard Aquila nyulgut basses are warm, rounded and mellow, they are the antithesis of bright and harmonic ringing to excess like many strings.

The Aquila Seta, actual silk thread are nice too, but don't tune up to 440hz...you must tune them lower to 435...they are very nice if you want something outside the realm of bright and ringing.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”