string options for 630 romantic

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

string options for 630 romantic

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Basically I want an off the shelf set for a 630 lacotte style guitar I made a while back. On it up to now are ej43 @ 440. Its stripped at the moment for a few alterations !( like a new neck - long story ! )
Just wanted to try something different. I do have a set of savarez white label low tenson ? Aquila ambra 800 normal I can source online from Uk or EU. La Bella erg#1- I cannot find a uk or EU supplier ? - or I would try those ? ( whats up with uk string suppliers )
I see La Bella 2001 light mentioned - any feedback on those ?
The Savarez I didn't like on a normal classical 650 scale instrument ( I play with fingers - the trebles are 'noisey' under the finger which annoys me - so reverted to ej45/46 )
Any other options ? - easy options as string sets ! - I'm not into aquiring fishing line, ordering in individual gut strings etc - just right now !

powderedtoastman

Re: string options for 630 romantic

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

I used to use Aquila Alabastro on my Lacote copy, and then I switched to Ambra 800 on a friend's recommendation. The trebles are rectified and have that really rough, scratchy texture so they will be "noisy" under the fingers with nails, too. I think your listeners won't hear it much but you'll hear it yourself.
Oddly the first set I ever ordered were glossy, and I really liked them, but then when I ordered more I started getting these rectified sets. Also the tension feels a bit stiff, even tuned a half step down.

I'm considering switching back to Alabastro, and maybe even light tension. I haven't tried the La Bella ERG ones.
Somebody has also recommended Pepe Romero GLOW strings, but I haven't tried them, so that may be an option. They are also made by LaBella.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks - will take a look at Alabastro. I had the feeling with the ej43 they were a bit pushed at 440 - seemed hard on the pegs on the bass.
That said - the bass side was very good with a huge sustain. It is slightly altered now with a lower saddle. Maybe will re-string for now with the old set - see if all is the same. ( the new neck is lime - much lighter than the original pear/maple )

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 am

Alabastro comes in mixed tension...those are nice. But on a 630 scale, if you find EJ43 hard...yikes...Then go with low tension Alabastro, or try all tensions.

The Aquila Zaffiro is also good...same basses, but different trebles. I just like Aquila because they aren't too expensive and don't sound like Pro Arte strings.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm

When I say hard - I mean it seemed a lot of tension on the low pegs. That said I'm not used to tuning guitar pegs - they are very different to violin. I could not find Alabastro in light tension - only medium and hard. Will hunt for Zaffiro and Pepe - limited ranges in UK/EU compared to US (ie - I can't source Mari in europe anywhere ? )

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Have you ordered from Strings by Mail? They don’t have the Mari, though. But Ostrie Music in California does. One of the forum’s resident string gurus gets Mari from them. And he lives in Austrailia. They will ship them.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Yes - I must check out how it works out cost wise shipping from US.
I have found a good German site for strings ( very extensive range - good prices and cheap uk shipping ) Schneider Musik - they have Aquila 97C ALABASTRO Light Tension Set LT for 9.40 euro inc tax.
https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/index.p ... 20bdad3ab9

I am surprised I have never found them before - as I have searched a lot. Google it seems does not want to find some sites ( quite common these days )

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Strings and beyond has a good sale and best prices on aquila...even with shipping...still beats Euro...

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Yes - extremely keen on Aquilla ! - but similar or more on Hannabach/ Savarez etc for normal classical. Maybe usefull for lute if I ever get beyond my mould !

I have for now replaced the ej43's. To cut a long post short - I found that the way I fit pegs for violin - is really a bit too tight for guitar. It makes a huge difference the tension being on the end and not in the middle. There is a lever action - I found by soaping them more - and I mean soap not peg dope ( ie reducing friction ) they tune way easier and still hold fine ?
Its also advisable on a headstock for pegs to make the veneer something very similar in hardness to the headstock proper, Its now walnut with a thin maple veneer.

Also - I find it way easier to tune the basses - if its possible - clockwise ( looking from above - the same as the trebles ) I have done that way on the A and D - and ditto three trebles. Its way easier for the action of the left hand thumb - getting old, wearing out !

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”