La Bella Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
GMR

La Bella Strings

Post by GMR » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello, I am a new member here. I am primarily an acoustic steel string player. I once owned a very basic nylon string guitar, several years ago. I recently acquired a new Córdoba C5 Ltd, and after spending the last several weeks looking at prospective upgrades to that guitar, I just received a new Córdoba Esteso from my darling Mrs. Claus, with the help of a very kind dealer in North Carolina.
My only experience with nylon strings has been the basic D’Addario strings carried by a local retailer, Pro Arte perhaps, and some Savarez strings I bought when I got the C5. These Savarez sets are some sort of unpolished trebles and I am not too keen on them. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the La Bella strings, particularly the Elite 850 and 900 series strings. And what might be the differences between the black trebles, gold trebles, clear trebles, or even the red flamenco treble strings. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Garland

Laudiesdad69

Re: La Bella Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:11 am

The only LaBella CG strings that I've had experience with were the 2001 series, I put the Black Flamenco set on my daughter's Ramirez 2NE. The were percussive and piercing, bright, almost like steel. Basses were decent.

I would say try the Ramirez strings with carbon G. Either their med or high tension.

High tension in the LaBella is about 77 lbs for the set. Ramirez med tension is about 87lbs.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:31 am

Amongst LaBella try the 2001 medium, or maybe medium-hard. Stick with clear trebles.

Alternative brands are Augustine (maybe the Black Imperial) or Aranjuez (Brillante 500). They are similarly priced.

The Ramirez (medium) mentioned above are better again but also more expensive.

Regards
Peter

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:52 am

GMR wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 pm
Hello, I am a new member here. I am primarily an acoustic steel string player. I once owned a very basic nylon string guitar, several years ago. I recently acquired a new Córdoba C5 Ltd, and after spending the last several weeks looking at prospective upgrades to that guitar, I just received a new Córdoba Esteso from my darling Mrs. Claus
Man that's one nice Christmas gift.
My Mrs Claus got me a peg winder. I got her an electric blanket. To get a guitar for Christmas. Wow. I got my son and daughter in law GG's....cheap ones.

Man I'm telling ya, hang on to her!🖒

GMR

Post by GMR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Indeed it is, Sir. More than I could ever imagine.
Garland

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 am

I would suggest starting with Augustine Black bass set only (black just means low tension in Augustine's incomprehensible labeling jargon) and D'Addario EJ45 treble set only. This is a great sounding combination that is inexpensive as well. Strings by Mail sells bass and treble sets separately if you wish. Later you will have to go through a long period of experimentation, but this will get you off on the right foot.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Amongst LaBella try the 2001 medium, or maybe medium-hard. Stick with clear trebles.
I would second this advice.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”