How can you tell if your strings are fake?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
edcat7

How can you tell if your strings are fake?

Post by edcat7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:19 am

I know D'Addario have had problems with fake strings but I wonder if other makers are also affected? I've just got some La Bella 2001 and I found an unopened packet of older ones. The packaging is so different. The older ones comes wrapped containing nitrogen but my new set has no plastic packing.

Have La Bella changed it's packaging?. Sorry don't know how to upload photos.

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Laudiesdad69

Re: How can you tell if your strings are fake?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 am

There is another thread on “Chinese” Savarez. I’m certain that there is no such thing. The last set of LaBella 2001 was wrapped.

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 am

if you purchased the strings from a reputable dealer then send an e-mail about the package. most, if not all, reputable dealers will give you an answer. on the other hand, if you bought the strings from a guy selling them from the trunk of his car, or someone from the bay who also sells shirts, scrap iron, etc. (i.e., someone who probably is not a legit string dealer) then there is a possibility the strings are bogus.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

nokturnal

Post by nokturnal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 am

Try it on your guitar and watch the tension. For me, at least, bogus strings will sound funny and lost it effectiveness in a short time, normally 2-3 days.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 am

I looked at La Bella's website and the packaging is the same as the one I bought ( but not the same as the previous ones) and the seller looks reputable, a brick and mortar music shop, so I have high hopes. Now to try the strings.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Try contacting the manufacturer and asking them to recommend a dealer.

Never had a reason to do this with guitar strings, but I have done this with other things, e.g. clothing and food.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am

I noticed in a pack of Savarez Alliance that ther is a paper tag with a number on it, and instructions printed in French. I don’t know if it is a serial or model number. Has anybody else seen this?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am
I noticed in a pack of Savarez Alliance that ther is a paper tag with a number on it, and instructions printed in French. I don’t know if it is a serial or model number. Has anybody else seen this?
Yes; in every set there is a unique identifier which you can use to report a problem with the strings. I don't have one on hand right now, but I think it gives Savarez enough information to pinpoint the manufacture date, the batch of strings and the supervisor.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm

A few years back I bought a few sets of D'Addario from the bay. They sounded and felt absolutely terrible, so I assume I was duped.

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 am

I always buy strings from Strings by Mail so I never have to worry about getting fake strings. There are plenty of reputable vendors out there, why would anyone take a chance just to save a little money?

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am

Brick and morter shops don't sell many strings because, they often sell at full list price or a few dollars more...I just bought a two year old set of Aquila Ambra strings and negotiated on the 12.99 price to 9$....

I don't think you got fake strings. Packages change over the years, and it sounds like you might have an old set. Assuming they are real and older I would not worry much. The windings might not have a high shine as newer ones, but the oxidization of the windings on strings is an overblown worry.

It is the oils, and grit particles from dirty and dust that trap in the windings and cause dead strings. If they look like silver, no worries. Burn em up!

There are lots of old sets sitting on the shelves. You are probably fine.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm
A few years back I bought a few sets of D'Addario from the bay. They sounded and felt absolutely terrible, so I assume I was duped.
If those strings were the ones in the old packaging, not the new cardboard zip pack, with all the strings in the same plastic bag, you probably were duped. On e - b a y there are a few sellers based in China that sell what they claim to be Pro Arte in the old tan packaging. I wouldn't take a chance from any China based seller, unless I was ordering Alice. And there, you still get what you pay for. Cheap price. Cheap quality.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”