Savarez Strings - 520P

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Nick1411

Savarez Strings - 520P

Postby Nick1411 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 pm

So I picked up a set of Savarez strings because I'd never tried them . They only had one kind - 520P - Red Card.

I opened them up and I was shocked to find that the trebles (at least it appears the G & B) are wrapped in plastic!!!!

WEIRD.

I haven't put them on yet. I searched through the forum on this, but didn't see anything. Anybody else use these? I would think that the plastic wrapping would cause a LOT of scraping noises and cause a pretty undesireable sound... But who knows. They cost the roughly same as D'addario composites, so maybe its a fancy thing to have strings wrapped in plastic?

Anyway, I'll be putting them on the next week or so and will find out for myself, I guess. :roll:

Nick

MathieuGPL

Postby MathieuGPL » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:13 pm

I've used Savarez' 520R , high tension many times. I preferred them over D'addarios but um.. I'm definetely not the one to judge. I'm an intermediate player and may be a little unaware of important subtle string factors.

I'd say.. just put em on, man. Even if you're performing for people, they usually aren't aware of all this little details. They'll adapt to the sound. hehe. It's an experience, you'll learn and there's no obvious threat.

Hit it!

and it's the exterior case that is made of plastic. Inside of this plastic case are the 6 normally packaged strings.

fabulousray

Postby fabulousray » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Savarez strings are some of the best, although I've always found the wound B and G strings to be a bit 'scratchy' on some pieces that require lots of string slides and shifts. You can get used to them, however, they'll last about as long as the other wound strings. I have recently started blending the Savarez bass strings with Augustine Imperial trebles, and I really like the sound.

alankroeger

Postby alankroeger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm

Hmm you folks got me interested in changing brands Savarez sounds interesting. It seems like my region is D'addario land and I don't see much else Pro Arte mostly. I guess I will have to order them off the web and start with a standard tension. I am definitely bored with the overly mellow Pro Artes I suppose if these are more lively then I will need to exert more effort in damping extra noises. But that would be worth the effort in the end.

Opinions on liveliness of Savarez in comparison to D'addario would be much appreciated, any takers?

Hybrid

Postby Hybrid » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:29 pm

Saverez Alliance are a very bright and lively string.

More so than D'addario.

"the trebles are wrapped in plastic"" I dont think so. I think
you just bought some rectified trebles.

H

alankroeger

Postby alankroeger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:36 pm

Hybrid wrote:Saverez Alliance are a very bright and lively string.

More so than D'addario.

Great sounds like a change I would like to make then :)

Michael

Re: Savarez Strings - 520P

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Nick1411 wrote:So I picked up a set of Savarez strings because I'd never tried them . They only had one kind - 520P - Red Card.

I opened them up and I was shocked to find that the trebles (at least it appears the G & B) are wrapped in plastic!!!!

Believe it or not, Nick is right.

I have been on the Savarez website and 520P are described as:

Plasic wound trebles on nylon multifilament...

bukena

Postby bukena » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:44 pm

I use savares allience.

alankroeger

Postby alankroeger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I see the Corelli violin strings name on the Savarez site do they own them?
I have actually use Correli Crystals on my violin I thought they were excellent sounding for a composite better then other popular brands of violin strings.

The_Dude

Postby The_Dude » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm not a fan of the Sav. Alliance, the feel of the string left much to be desired, and the tone was just not as bright as I like (at least on my guitar HSL F03). What's more, and perhaps it could be my heavy right hand, but the strings didn't last very long - about a couple of weeks with about 1-2hrs/day. Could have been a bad set though. Maybe I'll give them another try.

The Alliance strings weren't as bad as the set of Han. Titanyl strings I just took off my guitar - these sounded dead right out of the package. $18USD/single set, go figure.

I haven't found a set of strings that I like better than Luthier PS20s for three main reasons: 1.Sound - nice and bright trebles with bases that have a solid midrange punch, 2.Feel - the trebles are on the thinner side, which is ok, but I prefer thin over fatter strings - they just seem more responsive, and finally 3. Durability - I can get a good 8 weeks out of a set of PS20s.

GEO

Postby GEO » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 am

Anybody out there using Savarez 500CR's--they are the Corum basses and Crystal trebles--in med. tension? I find them livelier that the Galli's and D'Addario's I've used, yet they maintain a good balance between treble and bass.

Cheers,

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

UndeadKernel

Postby UndeadKernel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this might be the right place.

I just got these strings (the Savarez 520p) and I had problems with the wounded nylon strings.
As I was finished placing the strings, I decided to cut the remaining bits that sticked too much from the bridge. As I cut the string the entire string snapped. The woundings started to unwound and the string was not able to hold to the bridge.
These wounded nylon strings have a red "plastic" of sorts which I suppose is to make them stay together.
My question is: Am I supposed to not cut the ends of the strings to shorten it? Did you guys cut the strings after placing them to make them shorter?

Supperconductor

Postby Supperconductor » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 am

If you cut the red plastic seals at the end, the entire string will unravel. However, those red plastic tips prevented me from even getting the string ends through the bridge holes, therefore the 520P is completely useless for me.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

christine33

Postby christine33 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Supperconductor wrote:... those red plastic tips prevented me from even getting the string ends through the bridge holes, therefore the 520P is completely useless for me.

simply begin with the other end of the string and the other way round.

Supperconductor

Postby Supperconductor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:54 am

christine33 wrote:
Supperconductor wrote:... those red plastic tips prevented me from even getting the string ends through the bridge holes, therefore the 520P is completely useless for me.

simply begin with the other end of the string and the other way round.

Naturally, I had thought of that. But the set I had was capped with that red plastic material at both ends. Neither end would go through the holes in the bridge.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”